One Bug, A Few Suggestions

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!
  • So again I did a bit of a search and didn't turn up much... maybe I search for the wrong keywords or something?

Anyway, I have found what may be a bug, or may be me doing something wrong...

THE PROBLEM

I made a "car" object and some 3d box objects and told the box objects to be "solid" so the car would crash into them. That worked fine, but on closer inspection I noticed, that even though I set the car collision to "per pixel" the car seems to collide with the box objects using the bounding box of the car. This is annoying because if you are trying to drive close to a "building" (3d box), particularly while turning, you smack into the thing and ricochet off, even though you are nowhere near it.

I fixed the probelem by making a square, plainly coloured sprite, and used that as the collision base for the building and set the building to not be "solid" anymore... Now it works fine, but takes 2 objects to do the same job. Am I missing something here or are 3d boxes not really that great for relying on collision/overlap?

THE SUGGESTIONS

Car objects would be better if they had the following adjustible attributes:

1. Adjust the amount of "bounce" or whether it bounces at all or just stops when it hits something. I find it bounces way too much at high speed, and no matter what I code into the event editor it doesn't seem to stop it or even reduce the amount it bounces around. I tried things like "on collide then stop" and "if bounce then stop" etc to no avail.

2. Cars have momentum when moving... it would be nice to have a momentum attribute so when you do a reverse 180 or something, the car will keep moving in the direction its facing without having to "reverse" the movement.

To see what I mean, make a car object that goes fairly fast and drive in reverse as fast as you can, then turn while still moving until you are facing 180� from where you started, then accelerate forwards. In real life, the car would just keep moving forwards, but in Construct the car has to stop and then start moving again... as if the wheels have to reverse the direction they are moving in before it can go forwards. Hard to explain I know, but try it you will see what I mean.

3. Lastly it would be nice to be able to change the rotation speed of a car object using events. Again, maybe I am missing something here, but I looked and looked and there is no option to change the rotation speed of a car object in the event editor. For instance when using a "handbrake" the car would inherantly turn faster as it washes out, but I can't change how fast it turns without making flags and values that change how much extra it turns in a given direction, then adding that to the current direction etc. If I have to do that, then that's fine, but it would be cool if it can be easily added as a standard option.

So far, I think that's all I can come up with

The other features work really well, like skidding and stuff like that... though not entirely realistic, its fun to drift around obsticles and get the donuts going!

~Sol

• Thanks for the ideas and all, it was easy so I added set/get rotate speed for 0.94. As for the rest, will have to investigate in more detail later...

• Thanks for the ideas and all, it was easy so I added set/get rotate speed for 0.94. As for the rest, will have to investigate in more detail later...

Holy cow... that was the most awesome thing I have ever seen O.O So fast...

You are welcome for the suggetions... I will continue to think of more as I cross bridges. Construct is easily the more versitle creation software I have used, and the fact you are so dedicated to it inspires me. Keep up the great work Ash, I will definatley be sending a donation your direction soon mate!

~Sol

• Sorry to bump this Ash, but have you had a look into a momentum dynamic for the car behaviour yet? I'm really keen on seeing this as your original "Tigerworks" car demo for MMF2 had momentum and seemed to work pretty well. No rush though, just kind of wondering

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I suppose you're talking about the skidding on the turns, which can be reproduced with the Skid Recover Rate in the Construct behavior. Lower means more skidding. It's not particularly realistic though so better to keep it subtle.

• I suppose you're talking about the skidding on the turns, which can be reproduced with the Skid Recover Rate in the Construct behavior. Lower means more skidding. It's not particularly realistic though so better to keep it subtle.

No, I mean more like reverse to forward momentum transition... like if you drive in reverse really fast, then do a 180� turn and accelerate forwards, the car has to slow down and stop before moving forwards again... its like the wheels have infinite grip or something when it comes to propelling the car.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)