One hour game competition thread

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Match the incoming diamonds with the same ones to earn score!
  • OK, so every week, on saturday, 11PM GMT (so work out your timezone or time from there), there will be a 1 hour game compo taking place.

The themes will be announced 5 minutes before the start on the chat, so if you want to take part, join!

Winner will pick the next weeks theme; judges to be independent.

Here's a time converter so you can work out when to be there:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Note: as one took place today, the next one will be a week tommorow, so the 18th.

Here's the entry and voting forum:

• I'm GMT +8 so that is 7am I guess. Just fine. I'll see to it I 'd be able to enter,

• Damn yeah it;s like 8:30am for me... I'm rarely awake at that time, unless I've got work to do... in which case, I'll be working.

~Sol

• is there trophy prize? I dn't know if phpbb have that feature I know other boards have that..

or maybe a username colorchange for a week or a winner user title.. haha, anything

• Sweet.... It's 01:00 for me.

I'll start to enter these competitions once i've got my skillz back. I'v kinda had a break.

• Score! 7pm!

• a week long competition would be more useful. at least with that the games would be worth learning from. the best games could probably be used as examples for people new to construct. But a one hour competition? a one hour competition only shows that the experienced are experienced.

• Sounds good, and will probably be done, but these competitions are for people who don't have much time and just want to create something quickly; surprisingly a lot of good concepts come from things like this too, so we may see some games evolve out of the results.

• I'd also root for a week. Or 3 days or something. But more than 1 hour, since nothing really amazing could happen in an hour, because you don't have enough time to think.

A challenge where everyone has the same objective would be cool. Like:

From April 18th to April 25th, create one level / mission of a 2d sneak / stealth game.

Everyone would have to come up with a simple design that'd have to work technically and from a gamedesign point of view and then we'd just share the caps. That'd be very cool and everyone could learn form one another.

• I'd say both styles have their benefits.

This way is more convenient; I personally don't have time to put a lot of work into a game, and also, it's really awesome to see what people can whip up in an hour in a rapid development tool like Construct.

• Sounds good, and will probably be done, but these competitions are for people who don't have much time and just want to create something quickly; surprisingly a lot of good concepts come from things like this too, so we may see some games evolve out of the results.

And ideas and concepts should be weigh a bit more heavier than a finished product, that perhaps offers nothing new, for example: mario bros 1 replicate, with mario in a yellow suit.

• the point of one hour compos are to see what ppl can make in a single hour, its fun, thats the point.

we could have a one week thread, but that would be apart from this.

the point here is to see what ppl can do in a very limited amount of time under constraints, it creates alot of cool and funny stuff.

• I like the short time limit too!

• the point of one hour compos are to see what ppl can make in a single hour, its fun, thats the point.

we could have a one week thread, but that would be apart from this.

the point here is to see what ppl can do in a very limited amount of time under constraints, it creates alot of cool and funny stuff.

Certainly, I don't think anyone meant that the one thing would rule the other out - 1 hour competitions are great, but it'd also be cool to have stuff where users have a bit more time to not just see what they can do with their current skills, but where they're forced to put some thoughts into design and see what they could come up with if they'd have a couple of days.

Competitions in general could be very fruitful. Depending on whatever task is given, a realistic timeline could be set.

Only having 1 hour competitions would suck and only having 3 day competitions would suck as well, so let's make a salad. And put some dressing on, is what I'm saying!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

ONE HOUR COMPO HERE TODAY AT 11PM GMT, DON'T BE LATE

THAT IS T MINUS ELEVEN HOURS FROM NOW

THE THEME WILL BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY BEFORE THE BEGINNING OF THE COMPO

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)