One large sprite or few smaller ones

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:09 am

So I want to make a background for my game but i don't want to use tiled background because i don't want the background to stay the same.
It needs to be different so I am wondering what is better for optimisation. One big sprite or should I compose my background out of few sprites.

Thanks in advance.
B
S

Post » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:37 am

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve..

Couldn't parts of the background remain tiled background?
Could you make the background grid based and use animationframes of the same sprite?
it's not clear to me what you mean by the background not staying the same, the whole background changes every tick, or a part of the backgrounf is animated, or?
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:33 pm

No what i meant was background cant repeat itself.
I am making a platformer. You star at the beginning of the forest. But more you go into the forest bigger the trees get and terrain changes. I didnt mean animation or anything like that. Hope that clears it.
B
S

Post » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:49 pm

A lot can be achieved by scaling and rotating/mirroring sprites..
Try to create the background with repeating sprites/textures as much as you can..

Even "Big" game-creators do that as the picture of rayman shows in this useful blog-post

Remember not to waste your memory
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:26 pm

Alright thanks a bunch. :)
B
S

Return to How do I....?