One Object Type to rule them all... or not?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:17 pm

Amazing @codah ! Exactly what i was looking for! You used Families and individual Object Types! I now have both methods at my disposal! I'm breaking my exclamation key!

I believe this deserve an entire tutorial on arrays just to add this method to the more popular "single object type / animation frame" method. Once I understand how SOL choose each monster in the family i will try to create a tutorial around your example.

Thanks you very much again Codah, you solved a big issue i had from the beginning of time and by itslef this example is a powefull template of a complete RPG / Any Game cycle.

Of course thanks to you @kyatric for creating the original example wich, beyond my bitching, actually shows the best way to go for non heavily animated objects, like inventory items, shops, level editors, etc. (I'm on your "How to Code Monster Loot Drops" this days).

Thanks you very very much to both of you! :P
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:39 pm

Hillstrom wrote:Amazing @codah ! Exactly what i was looking for! You used Families and individual Object Types! I now have both methods at my disposal! I'm breaking my exclamation key!

I believe this deserve an entire tutorial on arrays just to add this method to the more popular "single object type / animation frame" method. Once I understand how SOL choose each monster in the family i will try to create a tutorial around your example.

Thanks you very much again Codah, you solved a big issue i had from the beginning of time and by itslef this example is a powefull template of a complete RPG / Any Game cycle.

Of course thanks to you @kyatric for creating the original example wich, beyond my bitching, actually shows the best way to go for non heavily animated objects, like inventory items, shops, level editors, etc. (I'm on your "How to Code Monster Loot Drops" this days).

Thanks you very very much to both of you! :P

No worries. I guess you've seen the tiny 'gotcha' (not really, just some boilerplate stuff) hidden away in the Group, and that you're ok with it. i.e. an On Create for each monster type... It's not that bad and once done, it's set and forget.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:50 pm

Your "gotcha" solution is a trade off that i don't see as a bad thing. Trying to figure out how to solve my problem i get back to Game Maker (and a little of Unity) to see how those engines use arrays in similar cases. It's impressive how easy is to get into a mess of code and, worst, how easy is to fall into logic bugs that are so much difficult to see in the mess of code. Going back to Construct 2 is like a shower after a fall into a mud hole.

Going from code to C2 kind of visual programming lift many barriers but also makes a little confusing some aspect of game programming where there's too much of "real programming" involved (like arrays). Usualy you can look into other's code but since C2 is unique you can get stuck for longer trying to "translate" a complex process from coding to visual representations of events.

Again your solution on the "On Create" group is pretty much needed. I don't see a better way so far.
Time to roll this array this thing into my prototype and see how it goes.

See you Codah! Thanks for your help.

But, there's a trade off and, to me, unless i get seriusly stuck like in this case, it's far wort it. C2 eventually is capable of doing anything code can do. I guess that, with arrays solved, there's no more barriers to overcome.

I really want to make your example more visible to everyone so i hopefully will be able to make a tutorial out of it. As long as Kyatric let me use his example as the template.
Thanks again Codah.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?