one optimization technique question

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:26 am

Oh, OK. But as far as I know, Construct uses a relatively high compression, maybe not maximum but still a high setting.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:14 am

[quote="AshyRaccoon":2dr2t0ys]I wonder if the space savings would be that different between a zip (or rar, 7z, etc.), containing a cap which has all the graphics embedded in it, versus a zip containing a cap and all the maximum-compressed png files?[/quote:2dr2t0ys]
png and jpg are specialized image compression techniques, so normally they will be smaller than their zip and rar counterparts. Also, rar can compress with a 'multimedia' algorithm but only can use one (among several other types) such algorithm per file, which means the rest of the cap won't compress well, further increasing the resulting size.
You're better off using specialized compression, unless you really don't want to expose the file (but you could stash pngs and jpgs in a zip file and rename it to something.dat)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:31 pm

hm one more advantage of this technique would be patching.
I mean if you do some tweaks or fixes and release new version, and .exe file was not immense because of all the graphics stored in it, you could just release small .exe file as a patch, and downloading whole game again would not be required each "Patch" was out.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic