Online Multiplayer Plugin?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
The I18N (Translation) is a Construct plugin created to translate text in game.
  • Hi guys,

I'm new here so I apologize if this has been asked before, but I did a few searches and didn't turn up any information... at least nothing that I understood very well (not sure if the python tutorial for socket connections is what I am looking for?)

Is there, or will there be (plans for) some sort of Multiplayer Sock object/plugin to allow multiplayer games over TCP/IP? If so, where does one get a hold of it, or (if the latter applies) when will it be released?

It seems that Construct will do EVERYTHING I need it to do for my next major project, except the online multiplayer aspect. I would hate to have to give this program a miss for this project as there are so many killer features that will integrate nicely with what I am trying to achieve!

Thanks in advance for any information you can supply!

• (not sure if the python tutorial for socket connections is what I am looking for?)

Yep. For now, Python sockets are your best bet. I don't think the peson who was writing that tutorial is done with it yet, though.

Is there, or will there be (plans for) some sort of Multiplayer Sock object/plugin to allow multiplayer games over TCP/IP?

Nope. There was, but it seems that the person making the plugin gave up. I'm sure something will come about in the future though. Ashley has said that if there isn't one by 1.0 he would make one.

• > (not sure if the python tutorial for socket connections is what I am looking for?)

>

Yep. For now, Python sockets are your best bet. I don't think the peson who was writing that tutorial is done with it yet, though.

>

> Is there, or will there be (plans for) some sort of Multiplayer Sock object/plugin to allow multiplayer games over TCP/IP?

>

Nope. There was, but it seems that the person making the plugin gave up. I'm sure something will come about in the future though. Ashley has said that if there isn't one by 1.0 he would make one.

Well that's just super awesome! I can't wait... I guess I'll start making my project now, and hope the multiplayer plugin ties in later without having to re-do too much. Either way I need to get my head around this program... I come from using a long line of klick software, as well as old-school stuff like Megazeux... this looks enough like MMF2/TGF/etc that it should be relatively straight forward.

If anyone else is looking for a project then PM me, I have a large overview of what I'm making... I already have a lot of the graphics done and a fairly good idea of how I want the game to work... most of which I am quite capable of doing solo but if anyone is "homeless" at the moment in terms of a project, drop me a line and I will fill you in!

Thanks again for the info!

~Sol

• this looks enough like MMF2/TGF/etc that it should be relatively straight forward.

Read the tutorial.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > this looks enough like MMF2/TGF/etc that it should be relatively straight forward.

>

Read the tutorial.

Yeah I've got it already, but I'm having fun just messing around at this point... I can't help but be a typical guy when it comes to doing anything that involves instructions... basically do it wrong until something breaks, then read the instructions.

• There should be a multiplayer plugin by the time we hit 1.0, and I'll have made it if nobody else has. Networking isn't my strong point though, even so I will try to do it properly, but I don't know how long that'd take - you might have to be patient if you're starting now!

Also be aware there are known file-corruption bugs in 0.93, some but not all of which should be fixed by 0.94 - keep lots of backups!

• There should be a multiplayer plugin by the time we hit 1.0, and I'll have made it if nobody else has. Networking isn't my strong point though, even so I will try to do it properly, but I don't know how long that'd take - you might have to be patient if you're starting now!

Also be aware there are known file-corruption bugs in 0.93, some but not all of which should be fixed by 0.94 - keep lots of backups!

Cheers Ash

I'm patient alright... no rush from this end mate, I still have to figure a lot of stuff out though I made some pretty good progress last night after work just mucking around with the program.

I have a few things to ask about in terms of bugs I have discovered plus a few suggestions, but I want to have a quick search and see if it has already been answered before I post them.

Thanks again for making this awesome program and releasing it for free!

• i dont think ill have a problem with file corruption since i havent even saved a project yet. i usually do something and it makes construct freak out.

i put a system condition "while" in an event and when i run the preview it doesnt run, although it shows up in my processes. i have to end the process for construct to work again. and then it seems to crash randomly. usually after i do something as well. "construct has stopped working and needs to close"

but at this point im not really using it. more of just messing around with it until its completely usable.

i put a system condition "while" in an event and when i run the preview it doesnt run, although it shows up in my processes. i have to end the process for construct to work again. and then it seems to crash randomly. usually after i do something as well. "construct has stopped working and needs to close"

How odd! I haven't had any stability issues so far myself... even though I've made some funky crap in the event editor that probably should have crashed it. XD

• sory for reviving so old topic, but i've got a question: will it be avaible to make mmo's with online plugin?

• Yes, provided three conditions:

You have a dedicated server to run a host on.

You have programming knowledge to create a scalable server (MMOs would require database interaction with a realtime server (not one created in Construct) and a fast design).

You have the willpower to see it through .

• MMO's (or RPGs for that matter) are pretty time consuming and require alot of variables/text/sct. I highly suggest trying simple projects and then building up to that level. In reality, a small team would be more efficient than going solo.

• i thought this was a parody thread at first haha.

• It's a shame networking in games is so important these days. Playing games with other people should never be done, no one enjoys playing games with friends!

• It's a shame networking in games is so important these days. Playing games with other people should never be done, no one enjoys playing games with friends!

Uh.... what?

~Sol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)