Online plugin-Updates

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:58 am

The point of a VPS is that you have a virtual private server. That is, even though you're sharing a box in between other people, you have as much control of your server as you would if you were renting a dedicated server. At the moment, I am running a Tremulous server, Lighttpd/PHP/mySQL/SQLite, postfix/dovecot, a python IRC bot, an IRC client, and other various things. You could run a web server, and an MMORPG server all on one box.

In any case, it's generally smarter to encapsulate your many things on different boxes so that if one program decides to eat up your CPU clock, your other programs are unaffected. However, I do realize we're talking about indie gaming here, so it's not important as it's (much) more expensive.
B
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:50 am

It obviously won't have to be amazing, but clearly it'll get used a lot even if we just stick with our current user base and don't expand - which is very unlikely. A lot of people here have experience in indie game developing and online play, so I'd imagine it'd have to be able to cope with about 100 connections at minimum.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Well I talked again with host and he asked few questions:

"yeah but 100 connections with what?"
"how much kbps"
"what does the server exactly has to do , to guess how much cpu/ram you would need?"
"but you still need to know if its unix or windows"

So lemme know and I tell what he says.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:35 pm

We'll have to do some number crunching and testing when a preliminary online plugin is created, before we have realistic projections.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:49 pm

I guess the requirements for a turn based game and live shooter are going to be completely different, so it's hard to say.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Why are you talking about hosting a free server for the plugin to use and how much kbps/connections it will need? That will be very difficult to work in my opinion. Just takes 1 bad app to flood and bring the whole thing down. Plugging all the possible leaks and building in restrictions would take the same amount of time as actually building the object.

Why not just make a flexible plugin that you specify the server etc and that's all? Let the developers find their own servers. Running a free server for the community is going to be a real headache and an expense for someone that is probably long term unaffordable.

If there is a demand for a community server, let someone set it up on their own backs, they could even charge a small monthly service fee to its users. This sort of thing will come naturally when it becomes cost effective and there is enough demand for it.

So for now, it's probably best to focus on the object and not the attached services?
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:57 pm

[quote="Gullanian":ygfhxg1i]Why are you talking about hosting a free server for the plugin to use and how much kbps/connections it will need? That will be very difficult to work in my opinion. Just takes 1 bad app to flood and bring the whole thing down. Plugging all the possible leaks and building in restrictions would take the same amount of time as actually building the object.

Why not just make a flexible plugin that you specify the server etc and that's all? Let the developers find their own servers. Running a free server for the community is going to be a real headache and an expense for someone that is probably long term unaffordable.

If there is a demand for a community server, let someone set it up on their own backs, they could even charge a small monthly service fee to its users. This sort of thing will come naturally when it becomes cost effective and there is enough demand for it.

So for now, it's probably best to focus on the object and not the attached services?[/quote:ygfhxg1i]
i agree with this. for the actual online gameplay, peer 2 peer would work fine for most projects (requiring no server) -- for an online plugin, i actually think peer 2 peer should be a priority over a dedicated server network model. all i'd need a server for is to generate server lists when people search for people to play with online, and there are a couple ways to do this that should be very easy and affordable.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:46 am

it seems this can be done using IP. many old games support the ability to create an IP lan type thing, like TA for example. so it should be very possible for construct to use this also. then just have a get client IP command, and you only need to host the main game lobby which transfers player ips. im no network genius but this seems like the easiest way to make online work.
you only need an IP link, no fancy servers. the snes emulator SNES9x also uses an IP link for netplay across computers
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:56 am

[quote="Gullanian":1ahexhxu]Why are you talking about hosting a free server for the plugin to use and how much kbps/connections it will need? That will be very difficult to work in my opinion. Just takes 1 bad app to flood and bring the whole thing down. Plugging all the possible leaks and building in restrictions would take the same amount of time as actually building the object.
[/quote:1ahexhxu]

Couldn't agree more. People can find their own place to host the server, its the plugin that we need! And anyway, you can test your game locally until its released (or in beta) - and if any game actually gets that far, that will be quite an achievement worthy of paying for a small VPS.

Please just GIEF ONLIEN PLUGINZ.

PS. And "nah" to all this p2p stuff. You always need a master server somehow anyway, any p2p apps can still be made if the plugin is well made. (Its basically connecting to a master server, then one of the guys starts hosting the server for the game - im sure you all know this anyway). Theres no need to make the plugin exclusively p2p.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:02 pm

I agree, a P2P plugin just won't cut it for alot of games.

I see your point about not having to have a public server, but I guarantee that unless someone makes one public then most people who were thinking about making an online game will immediately give up due to lack of a server to have the game on. Pretty much noone can afford to or will host a server purely by themselves.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion