Online plugin-Updates

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:24 pm

[quote="Gullanian":13cpbvpa]Why are you talking about hosting a free server for the plugin to use and how much kbps/connections it will need? That will be very difficult to work in my opinion. Just takes 1 bad app to flood and bring the whole thing down. Plugging all the possible leaks and building in restrictions would take the same amount of time as actually building the object.

Why not just make a flexible plugin that you specify the server etc and that's all? Let the developers find their own servers. Running a free server for the community is going to be a real headache and an expense for someone that is probably long term unaffordable.

If there is a demand for a community server, let someone set it up on their own backs, they could even charge a small monthly service fee to its users. This sort of thing will come naturally when it becomes cost effective and there is enough demand for it.

So for now, it's probably best to focus on the object and not the attached services?[/quote:13cpbvpa]

so let people with 500 or more posts be the only ones who can use it 8)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:24 pm

Hey. That wouldn't be fair. I'm a constant lurker. I just don't like posting often. But I'm always here.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Eeek, this has quite a few problems that need to be worked out. I mean suppose someone gets the go ahead to be able to use a server, then that person releases a cap file.....
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:59 pm

...uhm, sorry if i read this wrong but youre basically suggesting to have a single server and a closed-source plugin? not let people setup their own servers? wouldent that be against construct principles?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Ashley's stated that he wants plugins to be licensed by the individual creator.
They can be open, closed, sold even, as a separate entity.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:43 pm

People might be getting a bit carried away with this plugin and the thread is starting to derail again.

There is an obvious demand for an online plugin. Ideally this should support client/server as well as P2P connections, as well as everything else you can think of.

How developers use this object when it's made is irrelevant! How about we actually get it made first? Then, if someone wants to run a free server, let them. If someone wants to offer a paid server let them. The point im trying to make is that the use of the object is irrelevant to us, (note the word 'use').
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:03 pm

It's not though. Most people here want the object based on it being easy to use immediately, not having to jump through hoops to set up or pay for a server.

Obviously there's no need to get carried away finding one now as the object doesn't exist, but it's something to consider that if so many people here seem to want one, how many would use it with no server available?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:48 pm

It's the sort of thing probably best worried about after the object is made though?
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:45 pm

About a hundred hours work for a very underused feature sounds like a waste; practical considerations seem like a good idea.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:15 pm

In pretty much every game creation system that has online functions, the GAME is the server.
That is, one player presses "Create", notes the IP, other people join.

A game lobby is often set up by the developers, and that would require a dedicated server, but that would be the worry of the developer of that game, not Scirra. All we need is a plugin that lets you send TCP/IP messages. Something easier and sleeker that might need a server of its own might be introduced later, but right now that's all we need.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion