Online/Networking?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:39 pm

Rich, you're still working on it?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:33 pm

[quote="thomasmahler":2i00juvv]Rich, you're still working on it?[/quote:2i00juvv]
Would like to know, too :)

Last thing about it was:
[quote="Rich":2i00juvv]I'll do it this summer. 8)[/quote:2i00juvv] [url:2i00juvv]http://www.scirra.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4023&p=32085[/url:2i00juvv]

[size=50:2i00juvv]*knock on wood* *cross fingers* *say a prayer*[/size:2i00juvv]
:mrgreen:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:58 am

I have a hypothetical question for you guys. I'm not an amazing programmer...I don't think I'm good enough to get most networking implementations working with Construct, but I have found one that I think I can manage to integrate into a multiplayer plugin fairly quickly actually.

Here's the stipulation. This library has a stipulation within it that says if you make a cent with it, you have to pay $5500. That includes donations as well. Now I know a lot of people using Construct do it with dreams of one day selling their stuff, so this threw a wrench in my plans. I also know a lot of people using Construct do it for the pleasure of creating games, so I am at a loss.

Theoretically, there could be a multiplayer plugin, but if you used it you could not sell your game. It's either that, or wait for someone with a better understanding of the more forgiving libraries to come along and make it, like Rich. What do you guys think?

If worst comes to worst, it could just hold us over until that time comes when we have a true plugin.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:18 am

I would certainly use it.

I'm still trying to learn more C++ so I can have a crack at turning RakNet into one, but it'll be a while before I can have a serious go at it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:41 am

Don't use any expensive networking libraries - there are good free ones out there as well.

I've been looking at SFML (Simple + Fast Media Library) which is a sort of C++ replacement for SDL - it also looks to have a good networking library.

You could give that a shot.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:07 pm

not saying you shouldn't do it, but since you're trying to get a feel for what people will use. personally the no selling thing would be a dealbreaker for me.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Deal breaker for me as well.
B
G

Post » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:28 pm

[quote="Arsonide":1czu2tfr]Theoretically, there could be a multiplayer plugin, but if you used it you could not sell your game.[/quote:1czu2tfr]

No go.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:36 am

Ugh, I guess I'll start checking out Raknet then. NO PROMISES though. I'm going to start looking at it and making testbed programs. If it clicks and I can figure it out, I'll see what I can do.

Gonna make a simple console based chat program tonight with it. Raknet's licensing basically states this - you do have to pay them $5000, but only after you earn $250,000. Up until that point it's totally free. I think that's a pretty fair licensing scheme.

Meanwhile, you guys can start brainstorming how it will work in Construct. I'm envisioning it as three plugins. A client, a server, and a network replicator. The client and server are single objects that you drop into your program. The network replicator attaches to any network aware objects or sprites and synchronizes them over the network.

EDIT: Just made my first Raknet connection over the interwebs. It's not terribly difficult. Multiplayer Tic Tac Toe is functional.

Well...after checking it out a little more...yeah Tic Tac Toe is easy, but once I start thinking about implementing interpolation, my brain starts leaking out of my ears. I think I'll leave this to someone that knows what they're doing. Interpolation is not built into Raknet. It's what smooths out an object's movement between packets so that it's not jumping around. I will continue to supply plugins to the community, just not things this complex.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Arsonide, you shouldn't really have to do ay interpolation (I believe its called "Dead Reckoning" in online games). We just need an object that can send/receive packets along subchannels, sign into channels, assigns unique IDs to every client, etc. etc.

Also, OINC/Lacewing for MMF2 is cool because the servers can be written in python using something called "POINC".
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion