Online/Networking?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:45 pm

Interpolation is imperative if your not using prediction. Not all clients can keep the same rate of transfer, never mind ridiculous latency to someone on the other side of a country, or the world. I urge you to read the paper Valve Software published on their wiki on the matter.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... Networking

Hell go play Quake 3, then go play IOQuake 3 with the "fixed networking", huge difference with the improved prediction. Yes I know Quake 3 has prediction, but the fixes make it near bullet proof.
B
G

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:04 am

I'll sex up whoever makes an online plugin.

Fo sure.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:47 am

That's kinda creepy, with an avatar of yours.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:46 pm

[quote="jeffro11":2z3z40ul]Interpolation is imperative if your not using prediction. Not all clients can keep the same rate of transfer, never mind ridiculous latency to someone on the other side of a country, or the world. I urge you to read the paper Valve Software published on their wiki on the matter.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... Networking

Hell go play Quake 3, then go play IOQuake 3 with the "fixed networking", huge difference with the improved prediction. Yes I know Quake 3 has prediction, but the fixes make it near bullet proof.[/quote:2z3z40ul]

My apologies, I meant that you shouldn't have to be the one that makes the interpolation - You should only have to make the object while the user deals with that - As its usually completely different coding for different cases i would have thought...

Anyway, thanks for the article! I really look forward to reading it :D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:54 pm

I thought interpolation was the job of a game that sends and receives packets?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:05 pm

right, if we're talking about the same thing, which is predicting movement, so you can move a character and estimate their position based on what data you have already received, while waiting for the next packet.

This would be done completely differently, and to varying degrees, if you were making a fighting game, an rts, a chess game, or a fps. I don't know how difficult this is to make, or whether you have the time. But I think it would be useful, even without doing interpolation for you.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:12 am

I've checked out SFML and some very basic prediction algorithms utilizing cubic splines, which I think will function for my purposes. I think I can work something simple out over the next few weeks.

A few caveats: the connections will likely be UDP or TCP using a dedicated server built into a console program. UDP is pretty easy to do for me, as it's connectionless, which means for simple two player connections you don't even have to know if the second player is there - you just throw the data out and hope it arrives. TCP utilizes socket connections, so dealing with tons of players is an option. I'll have to program a server program though, as it's not something I think Construct facilitates well.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:13 pm

I was programming a 3d rts engine with a friend. We had a client server system and packets were simple. We used raknet which is really simple to set up ill see if i could get a plugin working? Im not that good at networking in mass numbers. Im sure i could make a co-op like plugin but anything for mmos would be beyond me.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:27 am

Nobody cares about MMO scales at this point - just getting basic TCP/IP functionality so that 4-8 players can play at once over the net would already be good enough.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion