Open letter to the Construct community

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:52 pm

This is certainly interesting news, to say the least! =D

I'm kind of at a loss for words, since I also thought that it would be at least one year or so before we'd start hearing about C2 coming out [u:1wsqjltj]soon[/u:1wsqjltj].

It's a bit sad that importing old projects won't work, but if it'll help development of C2 I'm all for it.

Looking forward to test it out! =)

[quote="deadeye":1wsqjltj]97 will be coming out shortly as well... ...it even has new features... ...the object bar).[/quote:1wsqjltj] :shock:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:05 pm

Your decision must of been hard. Even though you can still strip down C1, or at least just rewrite it, I bet it still feels like a daunting task to even approach where C1 left off, though it may be easier.

I think the devs expected a lot worse, but in my opinion (and others) this is exciting. People can still carry their games over ('good' design choices are invaluable, as made obvious by the first post). If Construct is free, then there is no way we could call you out. Even if I payed I doubt I would really feel like it was a dick move.

Since I first used Construct, I haven't even touched another program designed along the same objectives, so all my boring, unfinished prototypes are 100% Construct-made. That (kinda) shows how much I value Construct, right?

I am really excited about C2, and you can be sure you will have one more tester who will work for free, like our own little E-tribe. You give me an awesome product, and I give you my feedback.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:44 pm

construct is brilliant! sets a new standard in tools for non-programmers like me - as far as I'm concerned anyway :)

looks forward to C2 - keep up the amazing work!
B
G

Post » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Wow this is awesome :shock: ,i cant wait to try it :D i just want to thank you scirra team for all your work and effort you have made in the development of construct, the best game making software to date.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:02 am

I'm not quite sure what to think. I'm looking forward to C2, of course! But on the other hand, it's been a long time until the current state of Construct and the situation hasn't change, it's still one or two spare-time "garage" developers. So it will endure another 4 years or even more to bring C2 to a usable state as 0.99.9x?

But I really, really wish you all the best for C2. Scirra was always enthusiastic and the community grouped around it is one of the best I've ever met on the net. It deserves a success.

To the pricing: It was mentioned here because Ashley said so, when talking about C2 some time ago. There were plans to make it commercial, but with a free version also.

Go Scirra Go :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:32 am

[quote="tulamide":3kuc5aj9]To the pricing: It was mentioned here because Ashley said so, when talking about C2 some time ago. There were plans to make it commercial, but with a free version also.[/quote:3kuc5aj9]

I think - and don't quote me on this - but I think the plan is for the main program of C2 to be free, and certain plugins or runtimes or licenses will cost a fee. Pretty much the same way Unity is doing things now. But obviously I can't speak for Ashley, and he should really be the one to clear that up (and I wish he would, there's a lot of speculation going on in the thread!).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 am

Great news, been waiting for this.

[quote:1nym2qcj] So it will endure another 4 years or even more to bring C2 to a usable state as 0.99.9x? [/quote:1nym2qcj]
If i've understood correctly, lot of the stuff from C1 like behaviors, shaders, etc. can be used in C2 without too much hassle.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:09 am

All I can say is "See told ya so".
I'm sure everybody is with you on this, and you have my support.... if you want it.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:32 am

This is good news! I thought it would be years before C2 started. It'll be interesting to see what new features it will bring, aside from being better written and the multi-platform thing.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 am

Great news indeed :) Didn't expect this :lol: In my opinion the decision to rewrite it all from scratch now was the best one. Of course there's a huge knowledge base so the development should flow much better now. Construct is the best in what it does, but the old construct was reaching/reached it's limit. Construct has a bright future i'm sure. I'm specially excited about the multiplatform exporting :D
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion