Open letter to the Construct community

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 am

Yeah. I'm excited about this. Best wishes to C2 Ashley.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 pm

This sounds really cool, it now has me wondering a load of things like.

Can V1 plugins or caps be used in V2? (Although i am guessing most plugins will get updated)

Does V2 keep HLSL? or is direct x gone and it is now using GLSL etc because i quite like coding HLSL fx

What sort of coding options does it allow?

Will V2 be open source? i guess not though, hopefully we will find out soon anyway though. :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:48 pm

Well, I knew Construct 2 was in development in some form due to talk on the IRC channel, and the Sourceforge page, but still...

Well, I'm looking forward to testing C2 out myself soon enough!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm excited to see Construct 2. Plain and Simple.

I think it's very good that Construct 2 been making better progress than Construct Zero.

What does Construct 2 keep from the original and what does it throw away?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks for the many kind and understanding messages everyone :)

A commercial option is something we've thought about, but there will probably always be a free version of some description.

There have been a lot of questions about C2, but the easiest way to answer all the questions is: we'll start a public preview this weekend, and post lots more info, and you can see for yourself then! That should also help anyone wondering where their current projects are going to go. (Remember it's in pre-alpha stage so is some time away from being full-featured.)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Yeek... although it's great, I hope it won't take years to have a proper release. I think the market of "click and play" softwares really need a powerfull engine... when I think to mmf2 and his 10-15 years old core...

Paying for such a software isn't a big problem, as long as it's at least as good as construct ;).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:48 pm

Well this certainly caught me by surprise this morning (Made even stronger by the absence of coffee in my system). Still, you guys have mentioned on more than one occasion that Construct Zero was a coded mess; so I'm glad to see it won't be a problem much longer. It was, however, a great program for what it did right, and I've certainly have had my fun with it. I am quite excited to see what you guys have in store for us. My best of wishes to you all and to many more great days ahead.

BTW, does the introduction of C2 mean there will forum split soon?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:32 pm

C2 needs more developers. It is a big project, like Ashley said, which is why it really needs more than one or two developers who are pretty busy with other work. I'd consider this the most serious obstacle to C2's development. C1 is/was open source, but no other devs joined the team. The same GUI library isn't being used, is it?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:32 pm

This is a great decision, Ash.
I believe the community supports it because it makes sense.

Since I discovered Construct, I was amazed at how the Scirra devs had a nice view of how things should work, planning ahead and asking the community for opinions. I am proud to see such commitment to a open source software that has given us so much power in game-making, demanding nothing from us.

Currently I am using Construct to create levels for a commercial project and I'll contribute to your efforts once it is released and start making some money (hopefully :D).

I also can't wait to test C2 and all its bugginess and limitations. It will be a pleasure!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Can't wait for the public preview. :D
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion