Open letter to the Construct community

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:29 pm

I was too lazy to comment on this when I saw it the other day, buuuuut....

I'm glad. I actually dropped by to see if a new version was released to fix the family/variable glitch (As it had happened again in a new project >____>). I had almost just left Construct entirely, to be honest, to switch to something more stable... but then I see this nice "C2 - Coming Soon" logo on the front page.

My exact thoughts: "This!"
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. I think it was the right decision, so you have my permission to work on C2 now!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:55 pm

YES!

With the low activity on the forums from you Devs, i was thinking:
1. You've got caught up in other stuff, and grown tired of Construct.
2. You're secretly working your asses of on C2. <--Correct!

I was starting to get worried. Thanks for not letting me down! I'm going to follow the development of C2 closely, and I'll try to help out as much as i can!

Jonatan
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Cons1 is no more. 2 years of waiting with the sad conclusion.
Cons2 goes with HTML5 support that works terribly slow (based on the HTML5 demos). Stencyl is very slow too.

The fact there's no unhappy person about it really creeps me out x_x. Cons1 will remain buggy, it's a disaster. Ashley I hope you provide us with great development tool this time. Please make good development decisions and don't get too much of suggestion from this always-enthusiastic audience. Good luck!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Why would we be unhappy? This is an extremely early version thats improving upon C1's design, sure it's only HTML5 at the moment and is missing a billion features but a superior runtime will come eventually.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:07 pm

It took quite a while for Ashley to inform community that Cons1 will become deprecated. Just looked at publish dates of last releases and realized that DevTeam was aware of situation months ago but still hesitated to provide the news.

Yay for the Cons2 but honestly I couldn't imagine these guys stepping down when there's so much blind adoration going on in these forums ^^'.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:41 pm

BROO, what exactly are you unhappy about? Browser makers are hardware accelerating their canvases so they'll be fast soon - check out how fast the IE9 beta is. You say 0.x is a buggy disaster yourself, doesn't that mean C2 is headed in the right direction??
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Cons2 is headed in the right direction because you don't longer get to deal with unstable code from Cons0.x (+ you have better experience), it's more than obvious. I didn't call Cons0.x a disaster ^^'.

Announcing cutting efforts for Cons1 at Feb 2011 -> it's pretty late. AFAIR first expectations of Cons1 were back in Christmas 2008. Such announcements should've been made earlier.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:17 pm

I think most people have been aware of the situation with C1 for quite a while now. That it could still be improved, but never finnished because of the knots and roadblocks in the early code. This is the best thing that could happen to construct right now. We have C1 in a fairly good state, so we can work on our projects and ideas, and in the meantime we explore and get to know the new features of C2, and help the development so it goes smoothly, and when the time is right to swich completely we'll allready know everything about it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm sorry if you're frustrated by the late notice, but it's done now. I thought it would be better to have something to show with the announcement - rather than "we won't finish 0.x, and haven't got anything else interesting to show you right now". Why would anyone believe C2 was going to be better if they couldn't see for themselves?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion