Open Pandora

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
10 Orchestral Soundtracks / ~2 mins each / 11 audio clips in total
  • I just made my order...

http://openpandora.org/

I hope Construct gets Linux support someday.

• I hope Construct gets Linux support someday.

We have a saying in Poland "Hope is the mother of fools"

If linux will have DirectX support (legally) then maybe someone will port it, the source is available for anyone so there is a chance of porting.

• What's with that site? I can't find anywhere a description of what OpenPandora actually is, but I can deduce it from the tech specs and photos...

Linux support is a frequently asked question, and the short answer is: in the distant future, maybe, or when we get more developers than three part-time volunteers.

• The interest in these things is enormous. Every site I go to people are slavering over them. I hear the devkits for the Pandora have sold out completely already.

• LOL my MSI Wind whoops the shit out of that piece of crap... the thing's hardware is so far outdated already, and it's over priced to the maximum (for what it is). My Wind cost me LESS than that thing... and I can run higher resolution, 80gb storage, WiFi, graphics accelerator, Linux or windows....etc.etc. And it's not that much larger in size...

Sorry but those Pandora things are a massive useless gimmick. I can't see many games coming out for it in all honesty, and it will die in the arse in about 12-18 months time unless the homebrewers pick up the slack... but that's only cool if you like playing anime H-games about masturbation, or the 600th version of nude Tetris.

Good idea, but WAAAAY badly executed.

~Sol

• Im only sad that they canned the old GP2X F200 to make it =(

• LOL my MSI Wind whoops the s**t out of that piece of crap... the thing's hardware is so far outdated already, and it's over priced to the maximum (for what it is). My Wind cost me LESS than that thing... and I can run higher resolution, 80gb storage, WiFi, graphics accelerator, Linux or windows....etc.etc. And it's not that much larger in size...

Sorry but those Pandora things are a massive useless gimmick. I can't see many games coming out for it in all honesty, and it will die in the arse in about 12-18 months time unless the homebrewers pick up the slack... but that's only cool if you like playing anime H-games about masturbation, or the 600th version of nude Tetris.

Good idea, but WAAAAY badly executed.

~Sol

That was so funny... and sad at the same time. You must be very resentful because of your "small" laptop that isn't so small . I think that Pandora doesn't suppose to compete with netbooks but more likely with PMP's, handheld gaming devices, handheld computers and so on. So Wind isn't the best product to compare to ...and there is a huge size difference.

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/18356-MSI-Wind-vs-Pandora

The battery in Pandora lasts for more than 10hours when netbooks with 3cell batteries lasts about 2hours.

• > LOL my MSI Wind whoops the s**t out of that piece of crap... the thing's hardware is so far outdated already, and it's over priced to the maximum (for what it is). My Wind cost me LESS than that thing... and I can run higher resolution, 80gb storage, WiFi, graphics accelerator, Linux or windows....etc.etc. And it's not that much larger in size...

>

> Sorry but those Pandora things are a massive useless gimmick. I can't see many games coming out for it in all honesty, and it will die in the arse in about 12-18 months time unless the homebrewers pick up the slack... but that's only cool if you like playing anime H-games about masturbation, or the 600th version of nude Tetris.

>

> Good idea, but WAAAAY badly executed.

>

> ~Sol

>

That was so funny... and sad at the same time. You must be very resentful because of your "small" laptop that isn't so small . I think that Pandora doesn't suppose to compete with netbooks but more likely with PMP's, handheld gaming devices, handheld computers and so on. So Wind isn't the best product to compare to ...and there is a huge size difference.

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/18356-MSI-Wind-vs-Pandora

The battery in Pandora lasts for more than 10hours when netbooks with 3cell batteries lasts about 2hours.

Yeah I guess it's aimed at a different audience really... I mean, it's got some cool features, but what I was trying to say is... I'd rather my Wind than that thing. I have so many gaming consoles and crap already I don't need another one... especially one that hasn't got any firm developers locked in.

Besides, the wind isn't very big or heavy at all, and I have a 6 cell battery, not the 3 cell one... it lasts about 4 hours depending if I am using WiFi and have the screen set to full brightness etc.

~Sol

• Considering the fact that my PSP is sitting on a shelf collecting dust, and has been for the past eight months at least, yeah... I guess I'm just not a big fan of handheld gaming. When I'm at home I have consoles and my computer, and when I'm out, I just enjoy being out. Even if it's something like taking the train downtown, I'd rather just look out the window than play a game.

I think all the fancy gadgets and gizmos are neat, and the techy nerd in me covets them, but in reality if I got a Pandora then after a month it would just sit there doing nothing as well.

The only gizmo I think I would actually get any use out of is an iPhone, because it's, you know... a phone. Plus it would be kinda neat to learn Unity and make games for it.

• hey! i ordered one myself!

it's a fantastic handheld-PC, basically. (with gaming controls) I look forward to the shipping date.

• Open Pandora... why Pandora mythological Pandora Box that if it will be opened it will spread deceases all over the world? Design looks pretty good and it shows that its like a little pc where the only limitation is human imagination but the fact that is a little pc makes it worse becouse it will be only a handheld console not a Working PC. (small monitor lol) If i want to play something i'll buy a console and if i want to work i will buy a laptop or if i want both i'll buy stationary PC.

So too put it simple, in my opinion Open Pandora is

OVERRATED!

Just becouse something is opensource its not better, it just gives more flexibility to change the product so its not straightly connected to main developers becouse some guy can change a code a little and upgrade it but its very rare issue!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Open Pandora... why Pandora mythological Pandora Box that if it will be opened it will spread deceases all over the world? Design looks pretty good and it shows that its like a little pc where the only limitation is human imagination but the fact that is a little pc makes it worse becouse it will be only a handheld console not a Working PC. (small monitor lol) If i want to play something i'll buy a console and if i want to work i will buy a laptop or if i want both i'll buy stationary PC.

So too put it simple, in my opinion Open Pandora is

OVERRATED!

Just becouse something is opensource its not better, it just gives more flexibility to change the product so its not straightly connected to main developers becouse some guy can change a code a little and upgrade it but its very rare issue!

not true. Pandora is every bit it's promised to be.

first of all, it's not a primary computer replacement. Pandora is for people who already has a full pledged PC of some sort.

and Pandora has a high resolution screen and is Ubuntu capable. (it already runs full Ubuntu with Firefox and Gimp.)

It's basically a small PC in your pocket - something laptops and even UMPC's can't do.

There are plenty of UMPC's out there being manufactured, so obviously people have the want and the need for small PC which you can use on the go without the hassle of laptops (which requires some kind of surface to sit on).

Pandora is basically the smallest UMPC out there on the market at the moment, and it also has gaming controls - which is fantastic for emulators (Pandora already runs PSX, CPS2/Neogeo emulators at full speed).

what's there to be overrated? It would be overrated if Pandora promised something and it can't do it, but it already can do many of the things Pandora claims to be capable of.

• not true. Pandora is every bit it's promised to be.

First thing, what did they promise?That it will be a small pc?

[quote:1ge3cvsu]and Pandora has a high resolution screen and is Ubuntu capable. (it already runs full Ubuntu with Firefox and Gimp.)

High Resolution (800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD) its not so high resolution i think msi wind have 1024x600.

It's basically a small PC in your pocket - something laptops and even UMPC's can't do.

Yep.

There are plenty of UMPC's out there being manufactured, so obviously people have the want and the need for small PC which you can use on the go without the hassle of laptops (which requires some kind of surface to sit on).

Yeah well the same was with PC "why hassle with PC when you can travel with Laptop" and wtf "(which requires some kind of surface to sit on)" well ok if its a small PC you need a surface if you want to type anything or if you want to type with your thumbs thats ok.

Pandora is basically the smallest UMPC out there on the market at the moment, and it also has gaming controls - which is fantastic for emulators (Pandora already runs PSX, CPS2/Neogeo emulators at full speed).

A console emulator.

what's there to be overrated? It would be overrated if Pandora promised something and it can't do it, but it already can do many of the things Pandora claims to be capable of.

Overrated = Anything that is given too much credit and hype.

Some of people think this is revolutionary, i dont think so.

Just like the Wii console.

• >

> not true. Pandora is every bit it's promised to be.

>

>

First thing, what did they promise?That it will be a small pc?

[quote:2an048fb]and Pandora has a high resolution screen and is Ubuntu capable. (it already runs full Ubuntu with Firefox and Gimp.)

High Resolution (800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD) its not so high resolution i think msi wind have 1024x600.

Yep.

Yeah well the same was with PC "why hassle with PC when you can travel with Laptop" and wtf "(which requires some kind of surface to sit on)" well ok if its a small PC you need a surface if you want to type anything or if you want to type with your thumbs thats ok.

A console emulator.

well, hello mr. troll.

The Pandora promises to be a portable PC with gaming controls and keyboard for various emulation purpose and open source development. It never promised to rain gold or something as absurd.

As for screen resolution, you're comparing Pandora to a laptop? Since when did MSI wind fit in your pocket? Compared to similar sized device like DS or PSP, Pandora is definitely ahead in that department.

[quote:2an048fb]

What? since when did you use PSP or DS on a table? You hold it in your hand and Pandora is no exception. Pandora is the same size as the original DS, so portability is a non-issue.

[quote:2an048fb]

There is no hype. It's just you. It was never designed to be a mainstream device. It will never be on a Bestbuy shelf and it will continue that way. It's a community designed device made specifically for those people in that community (GP32X community).

People who are interested in a pocket-sized PC that is capable of running Ubuntu, and emulators up to PSX and N64 will buy this device. People who want to play the latest Capcom, Nintendo, Sony etc games will buy PSP or DS.

That's all.

• The Pandora promises to be a portable PC with gaming controls and keyboard for various emulation purpose and open source development. It never promised to rain gold or something as absurd.

verrated = Anything that is given too much credit and hype.

Its not that developers saying anything its people who are worshiping them.

As for screen resolution, you're comparing Pandora to a laptop? Since when did MSI wind fit in your pocket? Compared to similar sized device like DS or PSP, Pandora is definitely ahead in that department.

*looking at bold text* No sense at all.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)