Open Source & The Official Plugins

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:06 am

newt wrote:You don't see any issues with multiple forks of plugs named Scrollto?

But there would be just one repo. An official one, maintained by Scirra, which you can contribute to.

Tokinsom wrote:Just for the record...a quality camera w/ shaking and literally anything else you can think of can be done quite effortlessly with events and no behaviors.

My example is very poor and clearly missing the point. However, I think there is value in letting this community contribute to the tool they love.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:01 am

@armed10

I had made a repo tool and used it now for my plugins.
It is the 2nd version of my repo tool. Previous version was stand on ftp-server and ftp-client.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:24 am

@armed10 Yeah, I had similar thoughts. Unity do it. Basically you browse a store in Unity and you buy or/and install each item. It's an awesome idea.

@rexrainbow Yeah, I've seen yours in action and it's pretty cool. Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you as you develop many great plugins of which I have used many!
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:34 pm

I don't think it's such a good idea. We don't want to be obligated to support other developer's code (someone writes 1000 lines of code, submits it, disappears forever, then users file bugs that are based on that 1000 lines of code - the burden falls on us, and we may not understand what they did at all!). I don't think anyone will not take kindly to "sorry we can't fix your bug, we don't understand the code". Also third party developers may have their own very different ideas to us as to what the basic features of C2 should be, and we maintain quite a careful balance there. I think it's better to just let third party devs do whatever they like but with their own plugins using the SDK.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:39 pm

Nothing can prevent anyone from using a "C2 store". Rex already did one, there's another one in the works with live preview...

But yes, this should be done. Currently having to browse forums (!) to download plugins is archaic. We need a tool to browse, click a button, download, done. Even restarting Construct is already annoying.

Honestly, I don't care if Ashley or Tom need to check for bugs, it shouldn't even be their jobs.

We are the costumers. We should do whatever we can do to make OUR projects easier.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General