OpenGL and DirectX Rant

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
  • http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you ... ot-DirectX

Kinda interesting stuff.

Would computing in general be much better after all these years if people just stopped buying MS, and stuck to what's best, and not what's popular? I think the problem is just that computers are complicated, so its just too easy to fool people into doing what you want if you throw enough money at the problem. Kinda like running government.

• This was already posted a while ago, and a discussion was had.

• I guess MS totally fooled all the game developers and hardware creators who make almost everything with DX in mind, huh. They must totally not know their computer stuff.

If everything was made for OpenGL, everyone would use OpenGL. Also, OpenGL doesn't change as quickly as DirectX does. DX is controlled by a company. It's the standard.

Note: Remember that it is better to have a standard with this kind of thing at all. MS is good at keeping the standard going. How often does OpenGL change things or advertise or whatever? (serious question)

• This was already posted a while ago, and a discussion was had.

ound It.

Without MS we wouldn't have computers or Al gore's etherweb. So we will be their slaves forever, and love it. But I do have an issue with what they are doing in the console market, I see a trend with some types of games not being ported since they took a big chunk of the market.

And APIs will be useless soon anyway because people will code directly in c++. Everyone should just get better with c++.

• Actually, this generation has less exclusives. More games are multiplatform. Also, MS will pay for exclusives, while Sony and Nintendo refuse to. There's no reason for them to not be multiplatform if they won't get paid. There's one other thing too. The Xbox 360 is basically a streamlined gaming PC. It's almost not a port between the two. PS3 on the other hand is MUCH harder to develop for (multiplatform, let alone porting later). Wii, well, isn't as powerful anyway so "ports" are completely different games.

• Without MS we wouldn't have computers or Al gore's etherweb. So we will be their slaves forever, and love it.

Computers and the internet would certainly still be here, had Microsoft never existed... The 'popular' OS would probably be based upon Linux, which would be fine by me.

I'll leave it at that for a MSRANT.

Anyway, I've always found it quite alarming how the masses of young people looking to enter any market always seem to jump on the most crowded bandwagon. How is one to distinguish oneself from the rest that way? Ah well...

OpenGL isn't going away, in any case, so those who dare to be different can enjoy it if they wish.

• Actually, this generation has less exclusives..

as speaking on Fighting Game genre which is more exclusive then it ever was. That's what I meant by "some types".

• The problem I have with things like these is that they are founded on the property of one company instead of an independently developed standard.

If Mr Ford had done what Microsoft is always doing we would all drive Fords nowadays. We have proof of that until 1989, when there existed Eastern Germany. If you wanted to drive a car you had to order a Trabant and if you were lucky it was delivered 15 years later (and it wasn't sure, you could even afford it).

Why is it important to use a specific operating system? It should only make possible to get the results I want out of my computer not forcing me to use special software. I can buy an apple at the nearest local farmer or at the supermarket. Either way I get an apple!

Why do you think students get Microsofts developing software for free? Because that company wants to be a philanthropist? Or because you can't bind people early enough to your software, so that they will develop for their products exclusively?

See PhysX as another example. It is a de facto standard although it doesn't run on the hardware of NVIDIAs competitors.

Don't be so greeneyed with such things.

Btw, I remember Ashley saying it is much easier to develop for OpenGL and that C2 will use it.

• I don't think there's any point turning this in to a Microsoft rant/debate. That's been done to death a million times already.

The main problem with DirectX in Construct is actually technical. That darn D3DX update causes a lot of people headaches, especially due to not-reading-error-messages syndrome. Portability isn't the big deal it might seem, since using OpenGL probably won't help with porting to XBox, or web formats. The fact it's easier to program for is also nice for us, but I doubt anyone using Construct really cares about that. But we have decided to go with OpenGL for C2 anyway.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > Actually, this generation has less exclusives..

> as speaking on Fighting Game genre which is more exclusive then it ever was. That's what I meant by "some types".

If you mean what I think you mean, then that is more of a controller difference. RTS games tend to be easier with keyboard/mouse while fighting games are better with a controller.

Edit: It's funny though because PCs and Xbox 360s (PS3 too I'd assume as PS2 could do it) can use both keyboards/mice AND controllers. They're still more set up for their traditional input type, but they do have the support...

• Can't say I've ever really had anything against MS, they're doing their job and making more money. I do however, would like the best software/hardware available to always be on top so that technology/innovation and new ideas aren't bottlenecked. That said, the next OS I buy with be Win7.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)