Order of bug fixes

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!
  • May I asked how it is decided which bugs get fixed first? The reason I'm asking is, that I would assume fixing bugs related to the editor (ACE) should have high priority, as it is the only tool to get things done (if not using python).

I wanted to post a bug to the tracker but found it already posted on the tracker one year ago, still open. It's the 'else'-bug ('else' not working when subevents are added). I think this is important to work. Without it you can't nest the conditions enough in many cases.

There are other open bugs with 'or', 'while' and some expressions, and they all are open for a year now. Shouldn't they get more attention, so close to v1.0?

Again, I'm not asking this to aggravate, it's just that I think ACE should work reliably before anything else.

• You can get around the else sub-event issue by using a function call.

I've never tried putting the function in the sub-event under the else but I wonder what would happen then.

• [quote:qmw8w9st]... how it is decided which bugs get fixed first?

I can only speak for myself when I say: "Whichever bug I investigate and am able to fix."

[quote:qmw8w9st]... I think ACE should work reliably before anything else.

As an amateur bug fixer for construct I concur. Those type of bugs are of interest to me.

• You can get around the else sub-event issue by using a function call.

Yes, that is one workaround. There are others, too. And it proves that the event system is flexible enough. But shouldn't it be unnecessary to find workarounds? It's the core of Construct, it should get more attention, I think.

• > You can get around the else sub-event issue by using a function call.

>

Yes, that is one workaround. There are others, too. And it proves that the event system is flexible enough. But shouldn't it be unnecessary to find workarounds? It's the core of Construct, it should get more attention, I think.

I agree. The only workarounds needed should be for things Construct cannot do, rather than for bugs.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think Ashley explained somewhere why that bug will never be fixed. So those workaround probably should be mentioned. Others that will be fixed, if they can... well then yeah.

• There is no specific order of bug fixes other than really severe ones get quicker attention and obviously simple ones can be fixed quicker too. Some will probably never be fixed like the ELSE picking bug, because the engine simply is not designed to be able to do picking like people want there. Those should probably be closed off as 'won't fix' or 'postponed' (for C2). I've considered removing it, but that'd probably cause more problems than it fixes.

There's still around 200 bugs open on the tracker and I doubt they will ever all be fixed. Parts of Construct are very old and not written well because we were still learning how to program when the project started! Those parts are extremely difficult to change.

• PLEASE don't remove else! There are a bunch of places in my RPG battle engine where I use it and I can't think of any other way to do the things I'm doing without it.

• There is no way Ashley would remove ELSE. Well... I guess I shouldn't speak for others, but I don't think that is what he meant. ELSE is a basic part of any kind of programming/logic when working with computers. I could be wrong tho...

• Yep, I highly doubt Else will be removed. I think he just meant he wouldn't fix it.

I guess the only alternative are to use the Function approach or Python is always an answer.

With Python you can do a:

If (Sprite.X = 50):

do stuff....

elif (Sprite.X = 100):

do more stuff

else:

this is the fall back case...

I think at least one high priority on fixing bugs is to make Python support as integrated as possible so we can do workarounds. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)