Other build platforms in XDK?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:15 pm

As far as I understand, they bought the appMobi XDK (Legacy XDK), which already had its own build. After purchase, they introduced the cordova to "Intel XDK" which from that moment began to have compatibility with Phonegap.
The build of Ios (Legacy Hybrid Mobile), which perhaps have been updated, I believe it is still there since the time of appMobi.
May be some mistake about it, but I think not.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 pm

@vitorfgd ok thanks I'll keep digging.
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi @Ashley

So I've been doing a lot of catching up on XDK and phonegap to find out what it's all about. At present it seems to me that Intel's XDK offers the best overall package. Since you can develop, emulate, test, debug, profile and build android with crosswalk. Android, iOS and WP8 with Cordova 3.x. It all looks very easy to use and you also don't have to pay an adobe subscription. However, I've not got to the point where I have actually done a build or any performance measurements between Cordova and PhoneGap.

I want to know your opinion? Do you know anything about the performance differences between Cordova and PhoneGap? or things one offers over the other? I imagine the performance is pretty much the same and the biggest difference are the available plugins?

If Cordova is any good will you also be creating plugins for it? (Ads, IAP, etc)

Kind regards,
Wyrm
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:28 pm

Cordova basically is PhoneGap. One's the open source name and the other is Adobe's name.

We currently only officially support Crosswalk on the XDK, but since it's free for the other platforms as well, hopefully we can add support for them as well soon.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:41 am

@Ashley Thanks for your input. Supporting the other platforms would be awesome!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:40 am

@ashley

That would be brilliant
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:47 am

i tested the xdk export options since two days, the cordova "Android" option produces very small apk's and they run smooth, however i encountered a bug regarding sounds, if in construct "preload sounds" in project properties is set to "yes" the apk will hang at preloading the sounds and never start, if set to "no" the game loads and runs but no sound is playing (the same project build with crosswalk doesnt hang on the preload part and it plays sounds even if "preload sounds" is set to no.).
i played around with enabling and disabling cordova plugins but none of that worked.
Is there maybe an external plugin that fixes that?

i made a little test capx where a sprite is set visible if something is played, in the resulting apk it does show this sprite for a short moment(not long enough for the sound to finish) once
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fldr on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:47 pm

@fldr sounds like a bug with preloading. I would report it as a bug. At least if it isnt a bug you'll get some instruction of what is wrong.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Just want to confirm that the comments from before are all correct. XDK wants you to be able to export from c2 and build crosswalk for android, android webview, ios, windows, etc. We are using the cordova codebase and are trying to do it so you can choose phonegap build, cordova cli, or XDK and it will be more or less the same. We are working with Ashley on getting ads, payment, game services, etc working. You should be able to use the phonegap exporter today and use it with XDK. It will ignore the config.xml that c2 generates so you will have to configure icons, splash screens, full screen, etc in XDK. If you are seeing problems, let us know (XDK forums and/or PM to me).
Intel Corporation
B
S

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:21 pm

TheWyrm wrote:@fldr sounds like a bug with preloading. I would report it as a bug. At least if it isnt a bug you'll get some instruction of what is wrong.

im pretty sure the answer will be something like "sounds like an bug in XDK..." :D
because in html5 export it works in every browser and even in xdk it works with the crosswalk option
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General