Other game maker programs

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:32 pm

These tools are not known much simply because they don't have that much of hype around them and the devs aren't very keen in advertising their hobby project, also another reason maybe is that they don't have any good games to show off.

Most of these softwares are incomplete and are still in development but that doesn't mean that these are bad, even Construct 0.9.x is/was still in development and was still very good.

And I can't understand what do you mean by 'Unsupported' here, do you mean that these softwares are not supported by many platforms?(I listed the exports possible in Bennu) or do you mean that these tools don't have enough documentation? Novashell, Bennu, Processing, SmallBasic, GameDevelop have some decent docs.

Oh, and I noticed just now that BennuGD website is down for some reason.

EDIT: This was in reply to Ashley. Arima and karshinkoff posted while I was writing the reply.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:38 pm

i dont have a problem with buying construct, im just concerned to not go the same road as mmf and want percentages of the games, and get greedy with the drm and all that, it will quickly ruin the image of scirra.
but if its so then allright
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:42 pm

They've said that they're not going the royalties route either, so no need to worry about that.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:53 pm

I allow myself to introduce :

http://www.maratis3d.org/

A free and open source 3d engine developped for 8 years by a single person.
It has been released this january
Simple Lua scripting and C++ SDK

Just wanted to let you know about. beside, im still supporting Construct !
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:02 pm

and i am still. im very happy with it and i have just begun to open the possibilities.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:21 am

I always wanted a software that would let you make 3d games, with loads of assets and w/out any scripting coding knowladge... but not 3d game maker... so i gues this never happens XD

I'm not getting in to this conversation about weather C2 should be free or not - because it shouldn't :) Whoever is complaining then I'm assuming they r still young kids, so advice to them : ask your parents to buy you c2 for easter, christams instead of new game :)
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:01 am

I was slightly disappointed at C2 going commercial at first but then I understood it will have faster development, take a look at ZeldaClassic game engine for example, ZC's last version is unstable and latest version has been under construction for I don't know how long and it's not even released yet, SRB2 is pretty much the same, the dev's work on it when they feel like it and they can abandon it at will, not to mention most have a job and a family/life, it took them 11 years for version 2.0.X to come out since version 1.90, hence I understand and support Ashley's decision here, nobody wants a product that keeps getting slown down and having low priorities and possibly forgotten now does anyone? I sure don't.

Anyway few may know about this but I'l post it here.
http://www.apgardner.karoo.net/retrib/

Retribution engine, it is an easy FPS game creator without any coding knowledge needed, it is also free and you can produce your favorite Quake 2/HL1 styled FPS game for free with it, tough you are not allowed to sell them according to it's license but you can make a full fledged large FPS game with it, it isn't widely known either so there aren't any custom games/maps/whatever made by it around sadly.

Compared to FPS Creator I find Retrib's AI much more fun and harder and it doesn't take ages to load a game and it is somewhat more flexible and easier to use and a much more professional map editor program. (it looks slightly like Valve's hammer editor for HL games)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:11 am

This thread was not created to argue why c2 has went commercial. I'm not, in any way, against the decision that Construct will be commercial. We don't have any right to stop you from earning your livelihood the way you want.(unless you start smuggling drugs :P)

But I hope that you guys don't become like YoYo games or Click Team, because then, someday a group of uni students making plugins for C2 will team-up to make a free open source alternative to C2. :)

[quote:2z8ry9ag]Whoever is complaining then I'm assuming they r still young kids, so advice to them : ask your parents to buy you c2 for easter, christams instead of new game [/quote:2z8ry9ag]

Labeling people kids is not right, people don't want to spend money can't be the only reason. Just to let you know, different people live in different situations/conditions.

@JamesX and LavaWave: Thanks for the links, I'll add them to the list. Maratis3D looks very promising.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 am

[quote="abhilash2863":21gdj5kv]But I hope that you guys don't become like YoYo games or Click Team, because then, someday a group of uni students making plugins for C2 will team-up to make a free open source alternative to C2. :)[/quote:21gdj5kv]

So? what's wrong with that? that means more game making software to choose from.

I see you added retrib and SWFPSC, retrib's development has stopped as you labeled but you should also label SWFPSC development stopped as well, since it is also dropped in favor of the now possibly vaporware Plutonium3D.

Also another game engine comes to mind (perhaps the easiest 3D game creator software known, not counting the crappy game maker 3D) Realityfactory, it does not have awesome nextgen shaders tough and it's 3D power is akin to Quake 1 and the earliest 3D games known but it's something for hobbyist I must say.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:48 am

[quote:1n3n7lgj]So? what's wrong with that? that means more game making software to choose from.[/quote:1n3n7lgj]
I said that because I think this was the way Construct was born.

[quote:1n3n7lgj]I see you added retrib and SWFPSC, retrib's development has stopped as you labeled but you should also label SWFPSC development stopped as well, since it is also dropped in favor of the now possibly vaporware Plutonium3D.[/quote:1n3n7lgj]

Plutonium3d is not vaporware. Zoltan posted a video of the editor sometime ago, don't know why it was removed though.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic