Other programming language suggestions

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:46 pm

I've mastered the construct 2 event system (I literally have over 10,000 hours experience) and I'm looking into learning other languages. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wanted to get into using Unity or Unreal engine 4. Would C# be a good place to start? Thanks!
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:49 pm

GameMaker or Unity3D would probably be a good step. I say GameMaker because GML is slightly more forgiving than C#. I haven't had much experience with UE4, though I hear its Blueprints system is all visual scripting if you're more interested in continuing that path... otherwise, you might need to dip your feet into some C++, and that's really stepping up the difficulty there.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:56 pm

* moved. Not C2 relevant.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:06 am

captaincatnip wrote:GameMaker or Unity3D would probably be a good step. I say GameMaker because GML is slightly more forgiving than C#. I haven't had much experience with UE4, though I hear its Blueprints system is all visual scripting if you're more interested in continuing that path... otherwise, you might need to dip your feet into some C++, and that's really stepping up the difficulty there.

Cool, I had seen a video of UE4 and the blueprints system, but I didn't know it went to that extent of useability! The games I want to make with it are fairly simple in mechanics but complex visually, so I believe it would be a great engine to try! I have experience with UDK from college where we had to build levels for our level design classes so the transition shouldn't be too hard I'm thinking.

I appreciate your advice!
B
S

Post » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:18 pm

No, UE4 is pretty similar to UDK. It kept the same way of working. The changes were mostly with the add-on of the blueprints.
Blueprints are excellent for making small projects but fairly more complex ones would require actual code for better optimization.

I personally think Game Maker is not a good solution if you really wanna learn programming since the language its too forgiving comparatively to C++
A good choice can be the use of libraries such as SFML if you really wanna learn the basics. Obviously making a game would be much more difficult but its a great learning process.
B
S
G

Return to Open Topic