Out There Somewhere

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:40 pm

Don't know either why lot of people make a game with 8bit graphics, if its just for hobby I can understand it, or for learning purpose. My experience with gamedesign as a indie is the grapics, its hard and it take so much time to master. But I think that as a indie you need to master it, and it is not easy to push youre self to keep trying.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:28 pm

As someone who does both Hd 2D and pixelart I can say that I don't think either is easier.

They both have completely different challenges.

And I'm not sure that comparison image really gets the point across, if you were to recreate the hi-res image in pixelart it would be a LOT more difficult than just drawing it straight. Recreating the blocks in full res wouldn't be that difficult I can't imagine.

If you can draw full res 2D then I've found that the challenges of pixelart are kind of refreshing. When you draw something straight you just draw it, thats really the only challenge, being good enough to get it right. With pixels the restrictions of space become an all new challenge, one that I really enjoy tackling.

I'm sure other artists are the same. And there absolutely is the nostalgia aspect as well, I love the idea of making games like the ones I grew up playing.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:29 pm

Oh and Out There Somewhere looks awesome! Can't wait to play it!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:01 am

[quote="lucid":2kvrklyv]honestly, you'd have more trouble making the graphics in the first image?[/quote:2kvrklyv]

I could make the tiles in the first image pretty easily, but those are really simple tiles even by pixel art standards.

Something like this though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTfXfmtoEXU

No way in hell. The level of skill it takes to do pixel art like that is crazy high compared to if you were painting hi-res images of the same subject in a more traditional style. So if we're doing NES, I could do pixels. PSX era 2D pixel art though (which is about what Owlboy is) is too far out of my league, and painting something like in your second example would be a lot easier for me.

Not that I've ever painted something that detailed, but I suppose I could if I had enough time and a reason to do it (it probably wouldn't be nearly that pretty though :P).
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:03 am

because smaller sprite need less work ... and programmer are not usually 2d artist :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:27 am

Well I can't answer why is everyone doing it, but I can say why am I doing it.

Well, first of all, nostalgia, I grew up playing games that looked like this, I like to see it again.

Second, the low resolution let the imagination flow. I mean, i'm very sure that if you play my game you will start to see much more information than there's on the screen, probably you will imagine a totally different astronaut than the one I imagined, with his own personality and face. This is possible thanks to the large chunky pixels that are not very clear in showing everything.

Third, it's easier. Or maybe not easier, but somehow faster. Honestly, for me it is incredibly more difficult to draw a pixel-art image than a realistic/stylized one, but the pixel-art is much easier to animate and implement in the game.

Well, let's get on with some updates! I did some background animations, like that alien power core (used as example up there), one of the objectives in the game and a fountain.

I also did one cut-scene image that will appear in the game introduction:

There's already a bunch of new tilesets too but I'll post them later with some screenshots.

Ooh and most important of all, I'm kinda broke, so I decided to try an 8 Bit Funding project to get some money to finish this game. The final game will be free, but I believe that I'll only will be able to finish it if I get enough donations. Well, you can check the page here:

http://bit.ly/gmVhoq

Thanks again for all the compliments and support! :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:16 pm

You sure are skilled with pixel art ;-). The animation will the alien power core is amazing ! The same goes for the rest ;-).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:02 pm

well done sir...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Looking absolutely beautiful. Keep it up.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Truly outstanding!!
B
G

Previous

Return to Your Creations