Outlining Text

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Change delay, create new lines, "backspace" the text
  • I'm trying to outline text because it makes it much easier on the eyes (black text, white outline). Unfortunately, the Outline Effect doesn't look quite right on text. I tried spawning a slightly larger text object behind another one, but that would double the number of text sprites.

Edit: I made the text almost twice as big and it doesn't look weird when using the Outline Effect, but is still a little blocky. I think I've heard of a smooth text thing right?

• Would drop shadow work?

• Would drop shadow work?

Tried it but it doesn't look too good.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > Would drop shadow work?

>

Tried it but it doesn't look too good.

Hmm. I suppose using premade text is out of the question too, as you'll want it dynamically updated right?

Could always try spritefont plugin perhaps? I've never used it though.

Isn't there also a new text effect David made, which makes text look a bit better. Maybe apply that and the outline one?

• The problem is that Smart Text doesn't soften the outline too.

• Have you tried the regular Text effect?

I mean, putting the Text effect on your text and then Outline afterward.

• When I put Text on first then try to add another Effect, it gives me the error "This (meaning Text) is a non-pixel shader effect, blah blah blah" but then lets me add another effect anyway. After putting on Outline, neither Text nor Smart Text affects anything.

• What about...

Two text objects, one a clone of the other. Use Blur movement (not regular blurs) twice, one at 0 angle one at 90 degree angle, make that text black, and the blur amount 2. Then a white text object over it. Looks fine.

Though also so does the dropshadow plus method suggested earlier (didn't try the older dropshadow btw).

Course anything to do with text, just looked default in the runtime, and I remember something was said about that a while ago, I think it's actually a known bug.

• What about...

Two text objects, one a clone of the other. Use Blur movement (not regular blurs) twice, one at 0 angle one at 90 degree angle, make that text black, and the blur amount 2. Then a white text object over it. Looks fine.

Though also so does the dropshadow plus method suggested earlier (didn't try the older dropshadow btw).

Course anything to do with text, just looked default in the runtime, and I remember something was said about that a while ago, I think it's actually a known bug.

I'll have to try that later. In the meantime I'm using Bevel.

• Outline should work properly if you turn off text antialiasing... but then all text will appear kind of jaggy.

• Outline should work properly if you turn off text antialiasing... but then all text will appear kind of jaggy.

Text in the runtime always looks jaggy for me. Inside layout it looks how it's supposed to.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)