Outrageous AppMobi limitation

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:03 pm

@mammoth, $200 is not the issue here. The 5 apps limitation is.

Many games/apps are released in the form of a free game/app in the form of a demo + the real game/app.

With the 5 as a limitation you get to publish 2 games/apps (2 free demos and 2 games/apps)

Does a 2 game/apps example make my point clearer?

If $200 per 6 games/apps per year is not much for you, what is? Will you agree to pat $100 per game? How about $500 per game? Do you have a limit?

I expressed my personal limit, my limit is paying for a service who counts apps/games I upload and not the money I'm making out of these. I won't go with that plan and look elsewhere.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Well nobody is forcing you to go this route. Typically game development has been expensive and it is still expensive.

How about you pay the 100 dollars a year, release 5 great games make some money and then you once you are rolling in cash you can easily pay the the other 100 dollars.

Instead of thinking that appMobi is a predator trying to steal your money, try and see them as an enabler to your success. You want to make as many friends as you can in this world it's small and word gets around fast.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:30 pm

I think the main point is that AppMobi's prices are aimed at people who are interested in making money off their games. For people who aren't aiming for commercial games, then yes, it is quite a lot of money. Perhaps there will eventually be a less costly option, but for the time being it's just a question of whether or not you want to pay that much for what AppMobi are offering.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:47 pm

@ashley the upload size for chrome is higher than 10MB(my game hosted there is 16MB).

I don't mind paying more for more features, and yes this is pocket change for anyone doing this professionally. I would also like to add that those of you not doing this professionally have really cluttered up the market places, and I feel more costs should be charged for things like android($25), chrome($5), or IOS($99). I think that to be a developer it should cost at least $1,000 each. These market places are extremely cluttered at this point making it very difficult for small time developers to make money, while making it easy for big companies to dump tons of money on ads and still be a the top of this list(which is the only place that buyers will bother looking because of all the junk there). If you want to make games for fun don't put them on the market, host them somewhere free.

@ashley if you ever work out the whole mobile thing, do all of us small time developers a favor and make it cost more(maybe its only in the business edition).
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:54 pm

[QUOTE=Bert] @ashley the upload size for chrome is higher than 10MB(my game hosted there is 16MB).

[/QUOTE]

Shut the front door! I wanted them to up the game size. All we need is IGP and we are set for the chrome store!

Can you share a link to the game.

**EDIT. Never mind it is in your signature. Great job BTW, congrats. mammoth2012-02-28 15:02:06
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:31 pm

@mammoth thanks. I'm not sure the max size chrome will take, but it is at least 17.1MB I think that was the largest version I had on there.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm not even arguing this because we are adding appMobi features, I genuinely think the prices are reasonable. It is directly comparable to paying for the server you'd need to host other HTML5 games - and appMobi host the app, distribute updates and can do analytics too, and in future hopefully directCanvas and playMobi.

Apple's fee is only to give you permission to publish games. And why should anyone lower their prices because of what Apple charge? :S If it's that big a problem, publish to Android - or use the "less costly option", PhoneGap!Ashley2012-02-28 15:49:20
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:59 pm

[QUOTE=Bert] @mammoth thanks. I'm not sure the max size chrome will take, but it is at least 17.1MB I think that was the largest version I had on there. [/QUOTE]

That's good. Honestly for casual games 20 MB is more than enough. The only time I have had a problem with space is when I make rhythm games. Sounds can be big. Luckily C2 has solved this problem.

And yes Appmobi's fees are completely reasonable IMO
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:07 pm

@Ashley, A bit of a sidetrack but are you going to implement AppMobi's other API's? Like camera access? Geolocation etc.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:08 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] I'm not even arguing this because we are adding appMobi features, I genuinely think the prices are reasonable. It is directly comparable to paying for the server you'd need to host other HTML5 games - and appMobi host the app, distribute updates and can do analytics too, and in future hopefully directCanvas and playMobi.

Apple's fee is only to give you permission to publish games. And why should anyone lower their prices because of what Apple charge? :S If it's that big a problem, publish to Android - or use the "less costly option", PhoneGap![/QUOTE]

Again, the focus of my points is not the price/s. It's on the 5 apps/games per year limitation.

Your hosting comparison is a good one. I own a server hosting account which has no limit. It's a solid server which hosts around 30-40 sites I and my clients) own.

C2 has a fair pricing plan. Pay X and if you make money pay X*Y. This makes sense and I'll be more than happy to purchase one day the business package.

appMobi chose the not-so fair approach and I have no idea why this approach should be encouraged/promoted.

Developing cool features is great but If PhoneGap will get the same attention appMobi is getting than it's a fair road to take. If appMobi (with its 5 apps/games limitation) is the only path C2 will take than (in my mind) it's a too-pricey road for most C2 embers.

C2 represents the fair approach while appMobi is not. There's a difference between these two paths and I really don't understand why should the bad one be promoted.

Again, this is how I see things. Maybe we should hear what appMobi people have to say. I'm sure they are reading this interesting thread.HotGod2012-02-28 16:11:41
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General