Outrageous AppMobi limitation

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 am

[QUOTE=VampyricalCurse] Don't understand why I'm getting the sarcasm. Freedom of speech is something we all still have.[/QUOTE]

@VampyricalCurse: The only bit of my answer that was sarcastic was using
[quote]"greedy bastard big corporations" and the "nice cute game maker acting out of passion and love"[/quote]
Also notice the quotes.
It was more matter of using an image than a direct attack anyway.

If that's all you retain from my answer and feel your "freedom of speech" endangered because of that, once again, accord to others the same rights/privileges that you expect.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:49 am

There seem to be two arguments going on here:
1) Is the price fair, and
2) Should 'crap' games be allowed in app stores?

#2 is really subjective and a bit offtopic IMO, but back to #1 for a moment:

[QUOTE=HotGod]Again, the focus of my points is not the price/s. It's on the 5 apps/games per year limitation.[/QUOTE]
Another way to look at it is if you have 6 games on a server, you're going to have to pay a higher rate for a higher bandwidth server. Suppose you have 5 games, each 5mb, and each being played 5000 times a month (note some games in our arcade have had 10k+ plays in their first day). That's 125 GB/mo transfer of bandwidth. Chances are you're not going to get away with a bottom-rung server for that and your fifth or sixth game is going to force you up to the next level server, which could be, say, $200 a year instead of $100 a year. Obviously nobody can host 8-12 popular games for nothing, so they have to stage it one way or another, and rather than fiddly bandwidth limitations you just get a number of apps before the next level.

Besides, how many people have already published 5 apps? If each takes you 2-3 months to finish, that's about a year's work, so you get away with the lower price for a year. So I still don't see anything wrong with it.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:27 am

@Ashley, Thanks for your reply. It's refreshing to get a rational answer.
I tried to show that for each paid app developers tend to release a demo/free/light version. This turns the 5 apps limit into a 2 apps/games limit. No idea how this little sentence turned into a crap/good apps ratio. I tried to show this is not relevant and won't effect the market.

I saw many times that free apps/games turned into paid apps. This is why appMobi should put a different model and I'm sure they will change it once they see a killer app getting millions of hits. With such success their model of a 5 limit apps will fail.

I also saw a claim that this discussion doesn't belong here. I tried to show that as long as C2 doesn't put all it's power only on appMobi it will be fair to people like me who doesn't like the 5 apps limit.
DirectCanvas is cool and I like the appMobi environment but if this limit will stay there all the cool c2-appMobi features are not relevant to people like me.

And one last word, I didn't like the way some people talked to other C2 members. This is not a good way of listening and talking to others. I understand the emotions but there's a way to communicate. I always prefer the "cold" approach with ideas, concepts, numbers, over the "hot" and emotional path. This is why I didn't like the "capitalism" lesson, nor the definition that free apps = crap, and other sentences I do not wish to repeat.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 am

OK, I think this discussion has run its course. From our own experience, as a business deciding pricing schemes, it's very difficult to come up with something everyone will love, there are many tradeoffs involved, and the user's point of view is always carefully considered as well, so I'm sure appMobi thought a lot about this before arriving at where they are. However I think the best thing to do now is to lock the thread so everyone stays cool. Everyone's stated their points of view so I think this is best.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General