OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
8-bit retro-style music and sound effects: 10 loops-able music tracks and 301 individual SFX!
  • kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Great games come from great developers.

Developers can wave farewell to the roadblocks of bringing a console game to market. Anyone can make a game: every OUYA console is a dev kit. No need to purchase a license or an expensive SDK. It's built on Android, so developers already know how it works.

That doesn't mean OUYA is an Android port. You can create the next big title in your bedroom ? just like the good old days! Who needs pants!?

OUYA could change AAA game development, too. Forget about licensing fees, retail fees, and publishing fees.

---

This thing looks great, I recently just backed them. I pledged 149$ because international shipping. Also Added an Extra Gamepad just made sense.

I wounder if Construct 2 will work with this platform as it is Android?

_____EDIT_____

FaQ

What kind of games will be on OUYA?

(I skip down here)

And remember, because OUYA is based on Android, any app developer could publish their Android app to OUYA.

So you know what that means.

____Edit____

Just threw this together

BooYah by N7Effect, on Flickr

• This could get really big. Great potential if done right.

About C2 working on it that depends among other things but mainly of Android supporting WebGL fully. WebGL is the key.

• This could get really big. Great potential if done right.

About C2 working on it that depends among other things but mainly of Android supporting WebGL fully. WebGL is the key.

I actually just sent them a message, asking about WebGL and HTML5 etc support. I'll post back what they say. Also they have reached over 65% of there goal in a few short hours. I also asked if they wont have WebGL support if .EXE wrapping will be supported.

• Even if it doesn't work with HTML5, I still want one :)

Note that this isn't due out until mid 2013, so there is time to work with them and support them with anything needed.

The main issue will be this, does the gamepad support whatever mechanism we use to get the game on the browser. I would assume they require something like CocconJS to wrap the code up since this is a slightly closed system maybe?

How does a gamepad interface with android os?

• Interesting video, great price; will have to have a proper look at the specs later! Not expecting next gen but if it's OS like they imply I'd love for them to try and get some obscure tech in there: Voxel graphics anyone?

• Interesting video, great price; will have to have a proper look at the specs later! Not expecting next gen but if it's OS like they imply I'd love for them to try and get some obscure tech in there: Voxel graphics anyone?

Specifications:

Tegra3 quad-core processor

1GB RAM

8GB of internal flash storage

HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD

WiFi 802.11 b/g/n

Bluetooth LE 4.0

USB 2.0 (one)

Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks,

d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad

Android 4.0

here's hoping Dec 21 2012 isnt the end lol I want 2013 to happen lol

plus Dec 21'st is my B-day so that would suck.

• I was hoping if they support HTML5, it could to improve market share, otherwise if there no HTML5 support, it's probably useless console

• I was hoping if they support HTML5, it could to improve market share, otherwise if there no HTML5 support, it's probably useless console

I'm willing to guess while I wait for reply from there Dev team, that since its Android 4.0 maybe even 4.1 upon release it should have WebGL

blog.se-nse.net/webgl-for-android-4-0-is-open-source-treat-to-developers

• Since it's based on Android, why wouldn't cocoonjs work on it?

• It's a interesting idea but I don't really see the point when you can just hook up you mobile phone or tablet to the television/a monitor and play the same games.

One good thing is that it's open and everyone can develop to it. And that is a really good thing.

I guess I'll just wait and see what they can offer when it's released.

• To be honest the topic title made me somewhat skeptical, thoughts blazing back to the hype for the Phantom. Looking at the video though, I'm definitely interested. I do agree with them on one point, the console market have become really constricted of late. Microsoft tried to do something with its Indie label, but they have pushed it aside hard and it's relatively useless. OUYA seems to focus on catering to smaller development teams. Maybe this is the kick in the nuts the console market needs.

I personally prefer gaming on a TV (unless it's something that needs a mouse like FPS'es or something) and would LOVE to be able to develop for a console. I'm hoping this works out.

Edit: I really hope the face buttons on the pics aren't final.

• They made like 600K in an couple hours. It is already funded and getting another 10K every 2 minutes. People have spoken.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Wow they already surpassed their goal.

"$1,033,993

PLEDGED OF $950,000 GOAL"

It's pretty cool they already have Unity as a launch partner.

• Wow they already surpassed their goal.

"$1,033,993

PLEDGED OF $950,000 GOAL"

It's pretty cool they already have Unity as a launch partner.

IGN Coverage

• Since it's based on Android, why wouldn't cocoonjs work on it?

I would think yes, I think the issue you would run into is gamepad support and maybe sound support.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)