OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:46 am

[QUOTE=inkBot] They said in the video that you're free to rip it apart and mess with it as you like, so...[/QUOTE]

I really can't see this working out well, the manufacturers guarantee would be a tricky beast in this situation surely?

I look forward to the OUYA as an additional platform to make games for, but I would never buy one, the marketing shot itself in the foot, they're right, I do own a laptop, a phone, a tablet and a games console, and they all do more than the OUYA in either alternate tasks or gaming alone; why would shell out more money for something I already have?

That and slick corporate marketing really clashes against the raw bedroom programmer dynamic that not only seems to be the target of the console, but will also be responsible for it's survival after a few enticed devs ship their day one releases.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:55 am

So I'm a little late to the party, does it look like Construct 2 could be adapted for this? Looks awesome.
B
S

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:42 am

[QUOTE=Mr E Bear]I really can't see this working out well, the manufacturers guarantee would be a tricky beast in this situation surely?
[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

[QUOTE=Mr E Bear]
I look forward to the OUYA as an additional platform to make games for, but I would never buy one, the marketing shot itself in the foot, they're right, I do own a laptop, a phone, a tablet and a games console, and they all do more than the OUYA in either alternate tasks or gaming alone; why would shell out more money for something I already have?[/QUOTE]
That's just the thing. The Ouya is something stuck in the middle. You don't have an open console. Wii, XBox and PS3 are not open consoles. But they are well established with large libraries of games. Contending with them is going to be an uphill struggle for Ouya.
In my opinion, Ouya isn't competing with phones, tablets or computers. So comparing it to them is pointless to me. It would be like comparing a 3DS to a laptop. They are not competing with each other, the comparison is useless.

Why shell out money for something you already have? People do it all the time. A lot of people own more than one computer. A lot of people own two or all three of the major consoles.

If it's cheap enough, people will get interested. If it's cheap AND have interesting games, people will buy it. Like with all consoles, the game library will make or break the console.

[QUOTE=Mr E Bear]
That and slick corporate marketing really clashes against the raw bedroom programmer dynamic that not only seems to be the target of the console, but will also be responsible for it's survival after a few enticed devs ship their day one releases.[/QUOTE]
The console actually has two targets from the way I see it. The target developer, which would be the smaller guys (i.e. us), and the target consumer. I'm not quite sure what the target consumer is, but it's not us (though to develop for it we need to have it *hands*). But the target consumer is likely larger in scope than the target developer.

In order to push the console on the general market, after the Kickstarter, they will need good marketing. From the looks of it, they have thought about that.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:19 am

It's not the smartphone, it's the apps. Same for the Ouya I think.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:31 pm

I read the news about OUYA recently in a brazilian download site (I was going to create a topic about it, but fortunately it was not necessary ).

Since, according the OUYA developers, the console is open-source, I believe it would be a great addition to the Scirra portfolio. I will be happy to develop games with Construct 2 and export them, in addition to browsers (PC, Mac, Linux) and mobile devices (Android and iOS), to a console.

Dude, game creation to a videogame console is my child dream.
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:06 am

A US$ 99 console can be a hit in poor countries like Brazil (here!), India, China...

If Scirra makes an Ouya exporter I'll find a way to get 99 bucks and buy one.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 am

[QUOTE=Macbee] A US$ 99 console can be a hit in poor countries like Brazil (here!), India, China...

If Scirra makes an Ouya exporter I'll find a way to get 99 bucks and buy one.[/QUOTE]

It is true, "amigo do Brasil". A cheap videogame easily will sell in our country and others poors countries, plus a cheap game maker with many "exporters" will bring opportunities to all indie game developers.

HTML5 and indie developers will conquer the world.
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:31 am

If this works out then it's a great thing, but I'm not really seeing this becoming anything big. They were using Minecraft to promote this while in real world the company Mojang has no intrest for it.

From my point of view, I wouldn't want anyone to modify my game and re-sell it as their product(This is what they were selling as well, "hackable games").

All the games designed for touch have to be re-created for this device and it's game controller that does not exist yet. I think I actually read that they only have one of these consoles and that one is just a prototype that doesn't have any powerful hardware in it, and is due to change.

It's also a big problem to sell something targeted for poor people, because it can become exactly as the android market where everything has to be free to get plays. When something like apple products are known to be expensive and you can clearly see that these people are willing to buy whatever new you wan't to sell them.

Is there going to be any interest among the non-game developers?
I think if there's any great innovations made with it, it may have a chance.

One of my favorite TV-shows are the English, Canadian Dragon's Den and the American Shark Tank.
---
Actually I think I have a better idea... What if they would just make android controller and a TV output for multiplayer games that supports them? You could still get these games from android market and play the same game on your tablet...nemo2012-07-18 00:42:04
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:04 am

well i upped my pledge to $699 for the developer special. I'll get my console on December 2012. I just hope its not a waste of money.rfisher2012-07-18 01:04:36
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 am

[QUOTE=nemo] It's also a big problem to sell something targeted for poor people, because it can become exactly as the android market where everything has to be free to get plays.[/QUOTE]

These games don't have to be free -- they just have to be cheap!
Ouya could be successful in Brazil also because everything is overpriced here. 99 USD is the price of a Dynavision (8-bit Nintendo clone) today. A Brazilian Mega Drive 4 (Sega Genesis) console costs 125 USD for instance.

I bet Ouya would cost 400 or 500 US Dollars on Brazilian stores. But since we can buy it online for 99 USD (in fact almost 200 considering shipping and taxes to Brazilian Customs) it may be big here.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General