Palette Loader/Color Replace FX

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:01 am

[quote="Azu":24ov28wj]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/Sodisna/arge.png[/quote:24ov28wj]

Christ. It would probably be easier just to recolor all your sprites in Photoshop and switch to new sprite sets when needed.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:52 am

I don't think it would. I don't want to deal with 16+ different sprites.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:18 am

So don't. Put all the animations in one sprite. Then name your animations "blueRun" and "redShoot" and stuff like that. So if you have blue, red, and green, then you would have three jumping animations called "blueJump," "redJump," and "greenJump." Then you can tell which animation to play by storing the current color in a global variable, like so:

[code:2tzvg6vg]
+ Player picks Red
-> Set global('currentColor') to "red"

+ On "Jump" pressed
-> Set animation to global('currentColor') & "Jump"
+ On "Shoot" pressed
-> Set animation to global('currentColor') & "Shoot"

or whatever
[/code:2tzvg6vg]

Not so hard. Changing colors for all your frames at once in Photoshop or Gimp (even Paint) takes mere seconds. The hardest part would be importing all your animations, and even that's not hard, it's just more time consuming. Still not as time consuming as setting up a complicated shader thing like you were, though.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:07 pm

See I did that at first, but when ever I switched animation, it would act jumpy.
If I the animation was on frame eight of the walk cycle and I switched to color blue to green, the animation would reset to the first frame.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Then I guess you must have been doing something wrong, because it shouldn't be changing the animation frame :/

http://www.box.net/shared/ol5ujkjmyp

Press Ctrl to change colors. It stays on the current frame, even when running. Sometimes there is a tiny pause, if you happen to press Ctrl at the tail-end of the current frame's timing, but it doesn't go back to the first frame.

Edit:
Anyway, Mega Man always changes color while the weapon menu is up, and there's a little "changeover blip" animation when you return to playing, so if that little pause is enough to bother you then just add the "changeover blip." It will not only cover up the pause, but it will be more authentic as well.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:18 am

Niffty, however, I noticed a little pause in the animation when the colors switched.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:32 am

[size=200:1b4oi4zd]*SIGH*[/size:1b4oi4zd]

Welp, I guess there is just no pleasing some people :?

Good luck with your game.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:26 am

Sorry, but I'm a picky person. :(
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:24 pm

how is the player swtiching colors in your game. Will they even be moving when they switch? and if not they you are just begin way way too anal about this. and you could fix the problem by storing the animation frame they are on in a variable and then setting the animation frame when they switch.

also for you giant wall of events you are using now you can put all that information in an ini file and then use one function to change it according to the values in the .ini file just store the values you need for each different color under a group [color Name] and have a naming convention for each of the items then just use ini.itemvalue(golbal('currentColor'), "Item1"). and if you are worried about security just embed it in your cap and then out put it when the game starts and delete it when it ends.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:59 pm

I know nothing of Ini files other than storing simple values. If you played a Megaman game, then you'd know how it works. Players can switich colors at anytime. Whether they're jumping, walking, falling, whatever.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion