Parallax Origin point

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon May 27, 2013 7:27 am

@Infinitys End Construct has parallax settings for layers already, the goal of this thread is to get some control over the origin point of the parallax scroll to allow for more in depth control over the effect and some more predictability.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 27, 2013 9:30 am

Hello BluePhaze,

I am not sure that I understand what you mean by Infinitys End, is that some kind of plugin? I don't find anything in the forum except from a post about a "Bubble Bobble Blitz" project. Are you perhaps addressing mr Tokinsom..?

Please excuse me if I overlook something obvious, I am new to the forums and to this community.

I certainly agree about the goal of this thread as you put it    
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Infinitys End is the name of a member, he was responding to him
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152506

And that is why you shall respect the bug reports guidelines, not only giving a capx is making the bug reproductible in one click in a situation they can work with (less time wasted trying to reproduce vague instructions) but also it helps filtering false positives.

Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 27, 2013 4:44 pm

He's a friend I asked to +1 because the ability to change the parallax origin point at runtime will greatly benefit our project. GUILTY -.-;;

moving on..
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 27, 2013 5:48 pm

@eli0s Putting someones name with a @ in front of it will send them an alert on the site that they have a reply in a topic. :) Oh and welcome to the community.

@Tokinsom LOL you have to make sure they get the context before you have them +1 :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 28, 2013 3:28 am

@Aphrodite Thank you for your explanation

@Tokinsom I am sorry for making things complicated, I understand now

@BluePhaze This is a very helpful hint and as you can see I am abusing it in this particular reply. Thank you very much for your welcome!
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 28, 2013 5:42 am

No problem!
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 pm

@Infinitys End

ok, Now I saw this post... For some stupid reason I've missed the whole time

Thank you for your input!

I suppose that a system based on sprites that have frames which are referencing different points of view of an object and it's related on the distance from the center of the screen, could make up for a simple pseudo 3d effect. A simple example,

-if object is on the right side of the screen-> display frame 2 (object as seen from the left)
-if object is on the center of the screen-> display frame 1 (object as seen from the front)
-if object is on the left side of the screen-> display frame 0 (object as seen from the right)

Adding inbetween frames/points of view will render more fluid results.

I've used a similar method in a test game to fake the movement of the defensive towers. Please, check it out if you don't mind the waiting time (it's 100Mb, not very well optimized) and somewhat lengthy introduction (which can be skipped).

http://www.eli0s.com/hellrain.html

Best regards,

Eliaseli0s2013-07-07 14:15:10
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:22 pm

@MadFactory @inkBot @BluePhaze @DrGreenThumbCAN

Hi Chaps!

I'm also having trouble predicting where the parallax offset will be.

Demo

I'm creating a Slide Show system. My problem is that the slides do not align in the game window properly. I have to align it with rough approximations.

Is there a way to get the exact offset co-ordinates?

CapxNECROKRIEG2013-08-28 23:27:13
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:02 am

My initial, non clever, reaction would be to put the photos and all the stuff you want to be framed correctly on a layer with the parallax set to 100,100.
I guess that you have your reasons for not doing that though...

Perhaps those new expressions that were added with the r141 Release (System expressions: LayerParallaxX(layer), LayerParallaxY(layer)) will do the job, if only I know how to use them

Maybe someone with more experience and knowledge can give a practical example on those expressions (if it applies at all with what you have in mind)...

Best regards,

Elias
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General