Parallax Origin point

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:02 am

My initial, non clever, reaction would be to put the photos and all the stuff you want to be framed correctly on a layer with the parallax set to 100,100.
I guess that you have your reasons for not doing that though...

Perhaps those new expressions that were added with the r141 Release (System expressions: LayerParallaxX(layer), LayerParallaxY(layer)) will do the job, if only I know how to use them

Maybe someone with more experience and knowledge can give a practical example on those expressions (if it applies at all with what you have in mind)...

Best regards,

Elias
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:55 pm

@eli0s Thanks. You know when you work on something for so long you don't see the most obvious problem? ...That's what happened. The image layer at 100,100 parallax made sure it aligned nicely! :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:45 pm

@NECROKRIEG

Glad I could help!
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:23 pm

another still missing and never added feature.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 pm

The problem is simple to solve: Do Not Use parallax X/Y 2 create depth. It just does not even work that way in the real world.
Therefor, it is inessential to ask for something like a "...Parallax Origin point...", because it will not solve your problems.

This is real depth:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvcg1oyidjlp8 ... .capx?dl=0

(sorry to bump a bumped old topic)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:42 am

99Instances2Go wrote:The problem is simple to solve: Do Not Use parallax X/Y 2 create depth. It just does not even work that way in the real world.
Therefor, it is inessential to ask for something like a "...Parallax Origin point...", because it will not solve your problems.

This is real depth:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvcg1oyidjlp8 ... .capx?dl=0

(sorry to bump a bumped old topic)

Since the time of posting this original topic, I had this example made that uses the same scaling trick for pseudo 3d depth (hold the mouse button to shoot and move the plane).
However, I think this is a very troublesome approach, the setup doesn't reflect on the editor and it uses a ton of sprites... It's nice but it's a taxing (both CPU and workload wise) workaround...
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:53 am

@eli0s your example is perfect. I would love to make a full game like that in the future.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:48 am

eli0s wrote:Since the time of posting this original topic, I had this example made that uses the same scaling trick for pseudo 3d depth (hold the mouse button to shoot and move the plane).
However, I think this is a very troublesome approach, the setup doesn't reflect on the editor and it uses a ton of sprites... It's nice but it's a taxing (both CPU and workload wise) workaround...

There is always LayerToCanvasX("layer",x,y) and CanvasToLayer.
The idea is to translate the X/Y cords from a layer to screen and then back to another layer. This way I could nail the exact same "visiual" coords for many objects on different paralaxes.
The thing is - its a pain in the ass to write in and control. Anyway, my point stands. Missing feature. Something that just doesn't have any reason NOT to be in the editor. It could and it should. But it isn't.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:01 am

@eli0s

I just used (as you did) that many sprites (aka layers) to showcase the point. Most only need a foreground layer, a middle layer and a background layer. It is a flawless 'trick', with no overhead in events. In stead of fiddling with the parallax X&Y. And then complain that something that is wrong in the base dont work as expected.

Your Showcase is just plain beautiful !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:45 am

eli0s wrote:Since the time of posting this original topic, I had this example made that uses the same scaling trick for pseudo 3d depth (hold the mouse button to shoot and move the plane).

It looks awesome. Can you share the capx for this example?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General