Particles which rotate according to their trajectory

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:00 pm

The particle system in Construct is great, however one option often found in other systems seems missing - particles which "follow" the trajectory = rotate according to their movement path.

Here's how it works currently - if the particle has no random angle or rotation it'll always point in the same direction (let's pretend that the arrow is our particle):

Now it would be great to have an option of following its trajectory like this:

Great for all sorts of effects and seems like it could be easy to do.

Also, speaking of particles - a built in random hue function would be great.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:22 pm

I would also add the ability to stretch the particles along the trajectory vector based on the speed and or on a constant value.
B
G

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:28 pm

The particles object is already pretty complicated. I wouldn't want it to end up having 100s of properties and nobody being able to figure out how to use it.

Is it unreasonable to suggest using a custom particle system with lots of Sprite objects when you need things like this? I can't imagine it'd be any less efficient unless you're creating 1000s of particles or testing for collisions on them.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:36 pm

[quote="Ashley":2awqk6fg]The particles object is already pretty complicated. I wouldn't want it to end up having 100s of properties and nobody being able to figure out how to use it.[/quote:2awqk6fg]

Well, this would probably only need a checkbox which says "Follow trajectory" and grays out the random angle parameters (or simply ignores them).

[quote="Ashley":2awqk6fg]Is it unreasonable to suggest using a custom particle system with lots of Sprite objects when you need things like this? I can't imagine it'd be any less efficient unless you're creating 1000s of particles or testing for collisions on them.[/quote:2awqk6fg]

Well, to me it was mostly a question of performance. If you say it's OK to throw a lot of sprites around that's all the encouragement I need. Thanks.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:12 pm

With all my high end graphics program I have never seen the ability to rotate a partical like you suggest. Partials are meant to be just that. Partials. but...

Why making your own?
Path Movement Behavior by R0J0hound
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5693

Make the path and then just create a streams of objects to follow?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:36 pm

[quote="Guyon":1pk2xq3c]With all my high end graphics program I have never seen the ability to rotate a partical like you suggest. Partials are meant to be just that. Partials. but...
[/quote:1pk2xq3c]

Sorry, I must disagree here. I worked as a Visual Effects Artist and 90% of my time with particles and it is quite common to have the behavior descriped by Somebody. For example if you want to have sparks flying away in every direction.
B
G

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:48 pm

I think a custom particle engine with sprites is the solution here. We might redesign the particles object for Construct 2, to add lots of customisability but keep it simple, but right now we're trying to stabilise and keep things as they are for 1.0. Efficiency shouldn't be a major concern - particles can draw more efficiently in Particle Spray if they never rotate (using a more efficient Point Sprite rendering mode), but once they start rotating they draw the same way as sprites, so you don't lose much by using sprites anyway.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:25 pm

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4268&p=34137&hilit=particle#p34137
here's an example of particle sprites that rotate toward their trajectory
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:10 am

[quote="Tyrus":1e5x1eez]
Sorry, I must disagree here. I worked as a Visual Effects Artist and 90% of my time with particles and it is quite common to have the behavior descriped by Somebody. For example if you want to have sparks flying away in every direction.[/quote:1e5x1eez]

But every which way is not what he requested. Can you please sight an example of a non-custom application that "emits" partials with gravity physics and has facing direction toward the flight path?

@lucid Nice!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:24 am

[quote="Guyon":26kb85ff]
But every which way is not what he requested. Can you please sight an example of a non-custom application that "emits" partials with gravity physics and has facing direction toward the flight path?[/quote:26kb85ff]

Lightwave
Softimage
Houdini
3DS Max (probably)
Maya
Blender (probably)
particle illusion

Anyways, I'm with Ash on this. Doing it with sprites works better.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion