Pathfinding to exact pixel.

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Units do not overlap each other and use different ways if there are several free ways.
  • Why does the pathfinding send an object near the destination and not exactly to the destination?

It seems to just stop right before the coordinates instead of exactly on the coordinates. Why is this?

Can it be fixed without having the object awkwardly jump to the destination after stopping?

• That's the movement, not the pathfinding.

The reason it's not to the pixel is because it uses interpolation between positions, and don't for get it uses cells for leeway.

• It is a crap system. It is completely unusable because why would I ever want my units to move just close to the destination?

• Mostly because you would not want all units to occupy the same coordinates.

Its a great system, it does require a good bit of understanding and forethought. Enough to make it feel somewhat unfinished.

There are other pathfinders I might add.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The pathfinding behavior does make some things really easy, but it has limitations.

I am making an isometric RPG, and I use the pathfinding object a lot. It's what made the game possible.

I have a couple issues with it though. It is not very good for "tile" based games like Civilization because, as you said, the characters will never go to the exact spot. So, you will have to scoot them over using another event to get them in the exact center, and that never looks very good. This is why I got rid of tiles completely and just let characters walk wherever they want.

The second issue is that it does not handle moving objects very well. So, if you have multiple enemies coming at you, they will walk through each other and even stand right on top of each other. I wish I knew how Baldur's Gate or Age of Empires kept units from overlapping.

• The pathfinding behavior does make some things really easy, but it has limitations.

I am making an isometric RPG, and I use the pathfinding object a lot. It's what made the game possible.

I have a couple issues with it though. It is not very good for "tile" based games like Civilization because, as you said, the characters will never go to the exact spot. So, you will have to scoot them over using another event to get them in the exact center, and that never looks very good. This is why I got rid of tiles completely and just let characters walk wherever they want.

The second issue is that it does not handle moving objects very well. So, if you have multiple enemies coming at you, they will walk through each other and even stand right on top of each other. I wish I knew how Baldur's Gate or Age of Empires kept units from overlapping.

Using chipmunk physics will make them bounce of each other

• Using chipmunk physics will make them bounce of each other

Hmm, I'll have to check it out. As long as it doesn't make them look silly or end up in a wall, it may work.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)