PC GAME CONSOLE?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
A space themed game with high quality 2D graphics and addictive music that provide hours of fun
  • Hello again i recently posted the making OS but when i woke up this morning i came up with a brilliant idea of making a game console for the PC with pre-installed games and mini games this project will last a long time and be massive but i think that the end result will attract a lot of attention and if good enough make some profit.

• Moved to open topic.

What is the purpose of this post? Are you asking for people to help you?

Maybe you don't realise it but posts like yours claiming to have brilliant ideas are very common, and very few of them actually turn in to anything. I wouldn't expect anyone to take much interest in your project until you have done a substantial amount of work by yourself to prove you're serious. People are cynical about posts like this, and for good reason.

• Hello again i recently posted the making OS but when i woke up this morning i came up with a brilliant idea of making a game console for the PC with pre-installed games and mini games this project will last a long time and be massive but i think that the end result will attract a lot of attention and if good enough make some profit.

Sorry dude Xbox was already made.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Any guesses as to the age of the OP?

I'd say 12-13 tops.

Got to love the enthusiasm, but it needs to be tempered with a large amount of realism.

You see so many posts like this on Dev sites.

Krush.

• Any guesses as to the age of the OP?

I'd say 12-13 tops.

Got to love the enthusiasm, but it needs to be tempered with a large amount of realism.

You see so many posts like this on Dev sites.

Krush.

Given a few years he might hopefully become a constructive member of these forums.

And as for Operating Systems... http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Operating_System_Design

Mono's Miguel de Icaza has suggested something along the lines of UI toolkits being created with game engines (albeit 3D ones), according to issue 83 of Linux User and Developer anyway, so I think that's an interesting area of overlap.

• i was only 14 a year ago when i joined.

age on the internet is completely random, this guy could be 50+ for all we know, it wouldn't make a diff.

anyways i dont see much point in making this and dont think u should, but if you really wanted to on your own, wtv go for it.

• age on the internet is completely random, this guy could be 50+ for all we know, it wouldn't make a diff.

Yes it would.

It's quite normal for kids to let their enthusiasm get the better of them, growing out of the "I'm the best and I know best" attitude as they grow through their teens.

It's part of growing up, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It's not quite the same if someone reaches 50+ with that attitude still intact, because it's a very immature way of acting.

Which is why I was giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying he was 12 or 13, because no-one should act like that beyond those years.

Krush.

Things you will need :

A prototype/proof of concept, I see you did something along those lines with your shell. At the bare minimum you should have done some layouts in photoshop or similar to give prospective stakeholders [(People who will be investing time in the project). A design outline (for pitching to people you want involved in the project) A detailed design document for your own use and for anyone who joins the project. This needs to describe, in detail, EVERY ASPECT of your idea. No "I'll decide this later" or "To be designed" if you start out with a bad design document you will be lucky to finish with a crappy product. Take something as simple as pong - Two bats, one ball and a barrier at the top and the bottom. Simple right? Well hang on, how are you calculating the angles? Do you know the Newtonian physics equations for impact angles and deflection? How are you calculating the velocity of the ball relative to the bat and how will collision affect this? Something as simple as pong would have a two page design document at least. At minimum I would expect to see a fifty page design doc with illustrations for what you're describing. Excellent communication skills - Not to be mean but your post is slightly lacking in basic grammar and punctuation. Unless you can communicate your ideas with a high degree of precision and in a manner that leaves no room for misinterpretation you will have serious problems. A project outline/timeline/budget - Are you planning on paying people? are you going to sell the end product? How will you reimburse people for the time spent if you DO sell it? Do they get a flat payment or a percentage? Do they get anything for version 2.0 of the product even if they're not directly involved in that? How long will it take overall? How long will each stage take? How much time must each team or team member invest in this? When will their assistance/input be required? Will they be working on it for an hour a week throughout the whole project or for a solid fortnight at the end? Are you going to translate the product? Who will test it? What is involved in testing? When will testing begin? What input methods are supported? Is multiplayer involved? Is it simultaneous or hot seat multiplayer? Are you familiar with various software licenses? Do you have the legal know how to ensure that you're not left financially liable for any work done by a team member? How are you going to manage the team? How are you going to plot out the timeline? What are the critical points? How will you deal with delays or failures by team members to deliver on time and to the required standard? Now, in case you think I'm being deliberately obstructive, these questions represent only a sample of the variables and problems you need to consider before the first byte of code is written. Granted, I may have overestimated the scope and size of what you're talking about based on your very brief description but as you said yourself - "Massive". Finally, let me give you a very quick example of the scope of the average Xbox live game (much less what you're talking about). The average podunk 800 MS points crappy remake or regurgitated remake requires: Five developers, possibly one designer/developer[1], one development lead, one functional QA team lead, five functional testers and six months of time. Not to mention additional financial costs like the Xbox Live submission process, lawyers, PR and licensing fees (Which I know will not be a problem for a PC game but it serves to illustrate the hidden fees no one expects to be hit with)

[1] Pure designers are a rare beast indeed. They all get their hands dirty.

• I'm breaking this up to avoid a gigantic wall of text.

Assuming you don't have the $200,000 (conservative estimate) to pay people to engage in a project like this you're obviously going to have to go down the freebie and charity route.

Also assuming that you've put together a good design document, pitch, business case and legal setup (the open source community covers a lot of these bases thankfully) consider this.. or look at this. Sourceforge.net currently has 21,965 projects in the "Games" category. Of these 3096 are listed as "Production/Stable" i.e. fit for release, use and making money. Twice that number are listed as "Planning" and 677 are listed as inactive. My point is, not many projects make it to completion.

This is a major pitfall - people don't want to work on projects that never see the light of day, it is discouraging, disheartening and almost ensures they won't want to work with the people they see as being to blame for the failure of the project to reach completion. So ask yourself if you are willing to see the project out through thick and thin because if you aren't you're doing yourself a disservice and an even greater disservice to the people you hoodwinked into spending their time and energy on the project. The game development community, even the indie one is SMALL in the greater scheme of things and your name and reputation is very important. Failures are forgivable but walking away from a project or sinking it is not.

Which brings me to my next point. Everyone on these forums, or indeed ANY game development forum are here because they're interested in making games, typically their own. Everyone's time is finite and you need to persuade people to give some of that precious resource over to your project. So why should *I* take time away from my projects to develop yours? What makes your project a more enticing prospect than me realizing my own dreams? (I'm not trying to be aggressive here, these are thinking exercises because you'll need to persuade people of this mindset). The people you WANT to help on a project are the competent and skilled developers and artists and they're the ones you need to persuade but are, unfortunately, the hardest to persuade.

Finally, if I come across as condescending, patronizing or rude, that was not my intention. This represents my own experience (both as a hobbyist and a professional) in areas related to what you are talking about.

Thats my advice, take it or leave it.

Edit: I appreciate the irony of going on about spending an hour writing about how a person's free time is finite in response to what may well be a particularly crazed bot thank you very much.

• First, your title is entirely in caps. That is not good. It makes it seem like you came up with this on a whim and want to get people all excited about it. In fact, your post pretty much says that outright anyway.

Next, what differentiates this from the PC itself? What use is there to put many games into what is essentially nothing more than a game launcher? If you just made individual games, you could release each one seperately and much sooner than if you tried to create a massive package of content. Also, if/when (most likely when) the project tanks, at least you might have gotten a simple game produced.

Finally, from your lack of details, it appears that you have no idea what you actually hope to achieve. Your post is poorly written and no one will follow someone who writes or communicates poorly. It is one thing to tell a real life friend about an idea; it is an entirely different matter to pitch a development project to strangers on the internet and actually earn their confidence.

• I think ademisaalbo has plenty to think about now, so I'm going to lock this for now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)