Performance: in fairness

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 am

OK. This is not to become a c2 bashing thread (mods please lock it if it does).

Yesterday I posted some performance stats in another thread, but they were misleading because I had used an inefficient sequence of events in the c2 part of the test (the test was a version of bunnymark). I felt that my results were unfair to c2 because of this misuse of events. Additionally, the test did not focus on the GPU or CPU, which meant that you didn't know which one was limiting and causing a drop in fps (CPU number crunching or GPU fillrate). The other thread was locked so I'm posting my results here instead.

Results:

Tested on laptop (i5, 16Gb, SSD, intel HD4000) and phone (nexus 5x: built using phonegap build webview for c2). c2 laptop export was tested on NWjs (v22) and Chrome (v58). I tested each with and without sprite rendering enabled - the no-render results are probably a good indication of the relative amount of data that each engine can compute, given the limited test parameters, and the yes-render results probably indicate where my GPU became stressed. As I said - these are just a taste of performance and not an absolute benchmark. Edit: I took 55 fps as the cut-off for the tests.

Engine..............Render Images?..................No of bunnies
.................................................................Computer.............mobile
C2 NWjs.....................Y...........................6000
...................................N...........................9000
C2 Chrome................Y...........................7500
...................................N...........................8500
C2 phonegap............Y..........................................................1300
...................................N.........................................................1550
Godot Engine...........Y............................3000........................800
..................................N............................5500......................1400
Unity.........................Y.............................9300......................2500, 4700, 5200 **
..................................N..........................30000......................9300

** Unity gracefully degrades the fps from 60 to 30 to 20 (no jank)

All of the above tests are available here; you'll have to enable/disable drawing to make your GPU/CPU comparisons.

What stood out for me? Well, c2 did very well compared to Godot (ie it was significantly better!). And Unity's performance blew the others away. I guess I need to start learning C#, but c2 remains a viable alternative if performance is not critical...
Last edited by Colludium on Mon May 22, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 8:16 am

Interesting, Did you investigate why some where better than others? Did you use a WebGL inspector? My conclusion on another thread was draw calls. Less draw calls/draws = better performance, maybe this can help me investigate this further. :)
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 8:33 am

@tunepunk, no, I didn't do an in-depth investigation. However, if pure draw calls were the limiting factor then each engine should have max'd out at the same value when rendering bunnies. Therefore, I think that there's an overhead that each engine carries when ascribing draw calls to the GPU, such that the final yes-render figure is a mix of a GPU and a CPU limitation. The test also didn't measure jank (because I couldn't be bothered to create an fps-waterfall graph for each one) - that would also be of value because it would represent a measure of the quality of the player's experience.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 9:25 am

Interesting results indeed. That gap between Unity and C2/Godot is huge. I wonder what causes that.

I think it's worth noting that 6000/9000 bunnies with an Intel HD4000 GPU in C2 is quite acceptable imho. :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 11:55 am

Is the Godot engine native? If so, nice evidence that HTML5 can reach native performance!

BTW I generally use 30 FPS as the cutoff for performance tests - 55 is a bit close to the v-sync limit, where scheduling issues could come in to play.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Not sure if this is possible but, Is there a way to maybe cap the framerate in C2/C3 (I'm using C3 currently)
It would maybe be a good feature to be able to choose to cap frame rate at 30fps or 60fps rather than having the browser trying it utmost to render 60fps if 30fps wil ldo for a particular game.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 12:25 pm

@Ashley - Godot compiles c++ from the user's GDscript (python) at export. It is run in a wrapper that's the same .exe as the editor runs from in windows (not sure about android export). It does show html5 can perform ok, but I think Unity is the only native engine in this group - which is why it's so much faster.

@Havok - Unity's graceful degradation from 60 to 30 fps was a clincher. No jank....
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Looks like Unity's rendering performance is only about 25% better than the HTML5 version, so not that big a difference when it comes to on-screen sprite throughput.

If GDScript is python-like, then compiling it to C++ won't make it fast - it'd need a proper JIT to compile it well. JavaScript happens to have excellent JIT support, so that would explain why it's faster. So there seems to be a good argument here that JavaScript is faster than GDscript.

There's a request to support 30 FPS rendering in Chrome here, star it to show your support: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=485600
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Could someone explain to me why NW.js performs a bit worse compared to Chrome?
Aren't both browsers essentially running on the same backend (Chromium)?
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 3:23 pm

There's no good reason for them to be different - they are based on the same browser engine. I'd suspect it's just a margin of error in the test, or a quirk of only measuring to 55 FPS where v-sync scheduling comes in to play.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General