Performance Issues ( Android Crosswalk Galaxy S2 /S3

Just started using Construct 2? Post your questions here

Post » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:46 pm

Crosswalk is basically Chrome running your project as a native app, so consider it identical to Chrome. WebGL is a lot faster than canvas2d so yes, if it's not supported it will impact performance. It will also severely impact performance if canvas2d is not hardware accelerated.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Ashley wrote:I think the S2 and S3 are subject to GPU blacklisting. Check in Chrome by visiting chrome://gpu.

They are, at least that's what everyone is saying, but my S3 always did and still do hardware acceleration on everything. I never hack/change or even play with any settings of my phone or chrome for android responsible for that stuff.

And all "Graphic Feature Status" on chrome://gpu list are green any "Hardware accelerated" :D
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:37 am

@ahley, thanks for the clarification. canvas seems to be fine, but webgl is just "impossible" to activate on my s2 in chrome. its kind of frustrating that my really small game has such a poor performance...

for reference: (the game to test)
bytecrunch . org/flow

does it mean that if webgl is not available for crome its also not available for crosswalk? any work arrounds? or a way to test it and be sure? i really want to focus on developing the games, but if they dont run smooth its just not fun to play them at the end...
its hard to find information on this...

@shinkan thats good to hear, but is there any way to ensure that it is enabled on all your customers phones? i mean you have to develop for the wekest phone you want to target... for me this is the galaxy s2... if my games dont run smoothly on them its just pointless... and i hate this dilemma as i just love construct2!

regards.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:38 am

i give it up for today... those framelags just seem to be to random... all runs smothly on 6ß fps and then suddenly the whole frame lags... drop to 35... a few seconds later everything is fine again
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:46 am

It just means that you do not have a device that will run the game properly. However, people with other devices might be able to run it, no problem (as long as they work with WebGL). In any case, I have managed to have my game in a playable state even in my Galaxy II. Wondering why this is happening to you. Maybe you're calling too many events at the same time?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:51 am

@alvarop there is not much going on... you can download the capx from my dev server here: http://bytecrunch. org/dl/
if i remove all objects from the layout exept the background and the butttom it runns smothly and drops to 55 fps from time to time... but still those drops are kind of strange... such few objects shouldnt have such an impact... i will get a new phon ein a few weeks, hopefully i find something that is not bigger than my s2 haha ;)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:32 pm

You can force WebGL enabled in Chrome to compare how it runs with WebGL support. It's described in Performance Tips.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:51 pm

I'm having big trouble with my game on the S3. It's not registering touches at random, I have to double tap to do everything, and it's running very slow. Is it worth just adding it to the list of excluded devices? The problem is it's still such a popular phone.
B
S

Post » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:12 am

@AlexFrancois i had the same problem, when frames dropping to low everthing gets pretty unresponsive... i chose a completelly different game layout and for now i am fine... hopefully they will fix the webgl issues... i havent tryed ashleys tip yet but will do so shortlydid you try it?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:28 am

I don't have an s2/s3 to test on at the moment. One of my users with an s4 is experiencing crashes after the splash screen, while another s4 user is having to double tap for the phone to register a touch, bit of a nightmare.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's Questions