[Performance] Magenta background as transparent

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:47 pm

@Aphrodite It makes sense, also I was confident about skipping to render alpha of 0, too bad it does draw alpha of 0.

@Thndr Yes, I forgot about Replace color effect as webGL effect, it would work for team color. Current replace color effect doesn't have alpha option. There a difference between WebGL renderer and WebGL effects, actually the effects may cause performance drop.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Old games mostly did use the actual color palette of the computer(fullscreen only games were fullscreen for that reason I think), by changing it, and so they just did "do not render color #0" for exemple, that applied everywhere.

Now the Webgl effect does not work like that, it ll check every pixel of the image, and change some of them, which can be intensive.

At the end transparent is an information, like magenta was, the only difference being that, since nothing renders it, it appears transparent in every image editor (however it is line the magenta, still an information existing, and so will be stored in memory)
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:46 am

@Aphrodite Oh I see, it does store information in memory, anyway alpha option for Replace color would be useful in some cases.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General