Performance Question

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:50 am

Hey Guys,
im new here! My name is Sven and i like walking in the Park while its raining... :D

Seriously, im new to construct and i must say its just great and u guys rock!
I used MMF2 before and was so p**** that i cant create a platformer with descent scrolling without having to count the FPS with my Fingers :evil: So i moved, and i dont regret it!

Thats what i wanted to say.

Im working on an 2d-Platformer and my 1. Level gets bigger and bigger (15.000x3.500). And down goes the FPS. So what i want to know is:

1. Is better for performance to use a TiledBackground instead of filling the field with Sprites?!?

2. Does it save performance to not serialize the Objects in my Layout?!?
I dont want to save ingame, just level-wise. :)

3. Is it usual to make Levels 15.000 x 3.500 in size? :D

Thanks for your help.
B
G

Post » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:01 pm

[quote="sirongames":3bh7uxnk]1. Is better for performance to use a TiledBackground instead of filling the field with Sprites?!?[/quote:3bh7uxnk]
Never have a grid of sprites! It's very slow. You should use a Tiled Background with a texture that is a power-of-two size (e.g. 32x32, 64x64, 128x128...). Tiled backgrounds at that size can draw as efficiently as a single sprite, no matter how big they are!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Ok, i've done that. The size of the Textures are 100x100.Still no improvement, though.
Ill try to search what the problem is... Maybe i used to much Events or wrote a code of doom ;)
B
G

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic