Performance test

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Hey guys,

Been playing with the renderer more and trying to speed things up, and I wanna know how it works out for you guys.

http://www.scirra.com/files/raindemo_test.zip

raindemo_A.exe is one I built a few days ago, and raindemo_B.exe I built with the optimisations. V-sync is on so if both hit V-sync rate you won't notice a difference, but I'm interested in people with slower cards if there's a performance difference, and if raindemo_B.exe hits V-Sync rate when raindemo_A doesn't.

FPS is in the upper left, in dark blue. I'm still working on why the buttons in the B demo dont draw right

Video card models is useful too...

• Radeon Mobility X600:

Supports shader model 2.

Game A:

640x480: 16 fps lowest, 41 fps highest, 32 fps average

800x600: 11 fps lowest, 27 fps highest, 22 fps average

1024x768: 5 fps lowest, 18 fps highest, 14 fps average

Game B:

640x480: 18 fps lowest, 41 fps highest, 40 fps average

800x600: 10 fps lowest, 28 fps highest, 25 fps average

1024x768: 8 fps lowest, 18 fps highest, 17 fps average

OBSERVATIONS:

On this card, there is a small overall improvement at all resolutions.

The biggest performance difference is the full screen shader that activates when the player is hit. In Demo A, this can cause slowdown very near the minimum recorded speeds. In Demo B at 768p, this shader only causes a 5-fps dip.

Both demos are entirely playable at VGA resolution. Demo B is tolerable at 600p.

Seeing this old p.o.s. pull all this off at about 30fps makes me smile. This laptop's video card is far below even the lowest you can buy preinstalled in store shelf systems. I feel on even the lowest modern computer Construct should run at a steady, playable clip as high as 720p widescreen.

• GeForce 6200, 256 MB, Pixel Shader 3

Demo A:

640x480: ~30fps

800x600: 15-20fps

1024x768: 10-15fps

Demo B is bugged for me If I change the screen size to 640x480 or 1024x768 then when I press Space the program freezes. I can only test 800x600, and it seems to run about the same speed as Demo A, 15-20fps.

• Deadeye, you're only getting ~30 fps at VGA on a 6200? Are you sure you don't have any driver issues? That card's a generation or two above my X600m.

• It might be because his card supports PS3, whereas yours is skipping the effect entirely.

• Good point.

*stands aside*

• It might be because his card supports PS3, whereas yours is skipping the effect entirely.

But... there aren't any PS3 effects in Construct.

I downloaded the latest driver thingy from vVidia, so I don't know. Hey, at least I can see it

• Ohh. For some reason I was under the impression that the HDR bloom effect was Pixel Shader 3.0 only. But, now I have done research, and see that they perform essentially the same. Alas, I have failed to find the answer!

• Did the same on both for me. I have a really crappy computer though, and it still supports shader 2 for some reason.

• lol, err, 60FPS for all of them. nVidia 8800GT. But I would'nt exactly call my computer "low spec"

• lol, err, 60FPS for all of them. nVidia 8800GT. But I would'nt exactly call my computer "low spec"

I recommend you up your refresh rate! That card could probably go pretty high...

Unless you're on a TFT, as everyone is these days; I have no idea how they work, so if so, nevermind myself again.

• Thanks guys. Here's one more test, which runs uncapped framerate (so it should show your true performance capability), and should have display glitches fixed:

http://www.scirra.com/files/raindemo_C.zip

Again, FPS results + hardware would be useful. I can peak around 400 fps with my 8800GT on 800x600.

• Thanks guys. Here's one more test, which runs uncapped framerate (so it should show your true performance capability), and should have display glitches fixed:

http://www.scirra.com/files/raindemo_C.zip

Again, FPS results + hardware would be useful. I can peak around 400 fps with my 8800GT on 800x600.

400 FPS???

I can barely hit 40.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah, as far as the 8800GT goes, it's a small graphics supercomputer, probably equal in computing power to an entire 1990's Pixar render farm. It can run Crysis on medium settings!!

• Performance Test C, 640 x 480 res: My fps was all-over the place from 100 to 300.

Performance Test C, 800 x 600 res: Same.

Performance Test C, 1024 x 768 res: It crashes when changing to that resolution.

The previous tests A and B, in all different resolutions was running on 70-75 fps.

Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)