Permanently keep loaded image from URL?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:39 am

It depends if you're booting into the layout with the large sprites.

Blank layout (fast load, no memory use) -> Layout with sprites (takes time to load sprites into memory)

Is equivalent to

Blank layout with empty sprites (fast load, no memory use) -> Load images via URL into sprites into same layout (takes time to load sprites into memory)

The top setup will normally keep images in memory when moving to the next layout with the same sprites. Have you tried making the sprites global and/or using the persist behavior after loading from URL? That could possibly keep them in memory across layout changes.

Generally speaking, it is advisable to design around a set peak graphics memory limit rather than try to fiddle with loading and unloading graphics into memory dynamically to try to get past memory limitations (Usually results in bugs and crashes and time spent with extra coding).
Mistakes were made.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:21 am

@oosyrag While I get the sentiment. I've already made and shipped one big game relying on sprites and the built-in systems for loading, and no, even an empty layout within that project takes a long, long time to boot. It's to the point where you can't work efficiently anymore, if at all. I'm never making a game that way ever again. The extra time spent making tools to take advantage of manual URL loading to keep the boot/iteration time low pales in comparrison to lost time just waiting for that loading bar again and again. I will give global and persist a try though. :)

Edit: Yeah seems like the plugin only works like a layout switch. I guess I should've read the description more carefully. Which means the curse of C2 memory management continues... I'm so moving on from this engine soon.
B
S

Previous

Return to How do I....?