Personal suggested Manual notes (use with caution)

If you have found a bug, or have a suggestion/comment then leave it here

Post » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Message: Mylon can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
Better documentation is always a good thing. I just want to leave some notes here as I see them

Mouse: https://www.scirra.com/manual/114/mouse

Set cursor from sprite: An instance of the sprite must exist on the layout where this call is made.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:46 pm

Can we amend the documentation, or request it. I occasionally come across things which need some clarity, e.g.

angle(x1, y1, x2, y2) Calculate angle between two points

doesn't actually specify which way round it is, is it the angle from x1 to x2 or x2 to x1 ?
My tutorial through development blog is at http://myconstruct2dev.blogspot.co.uk/
B
S

Post » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:14 am

would love to see more examples as well, on how to use the specific functions etc, it would greatly help to take advantage of a great tool :D
B
S

Post » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:21 pm

@breflabb: How do I FAQ ?
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:51 pm

@Kyatric thank you so much ! i wonder how i have missed this treashure trow! :D
B
S

Post » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:51 am

Create Object: At the time of object creation, it doesn't have a height or width. Using a sprite's size is not effective when creating it relative to other objects.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:06 am

Mylon wrote:Create Object: At the time of object creation, it doesn't have a height or width.

That's absolutely untrue. It uses the height and width of the first instance created in your project.
EDIT: The object type does have a width and height and creating an instance of that object type on any layout does create the instance with the expected width and height.
The initial instance of the project does not actually play into effect in this.

Mylon wrote: Using a sprite's size is not effective when creating it relative to other objects.

You are trying to create several object types in the same tick and are facing the fact that actual instances are only created on the next tick.
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73647&start=0#352637

Image Image

Image Image

B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Kyatric wrote:
Mylon wrote:Create Object: At the time of object creation, it doesn't have a height or width.

That's absolutely untrue. It uses the height and width of the first instance created in your project.

The object must need to exist on the layout in question, not merely in the project.

The game idea I'm working on relies on a relatively simple layout that grows increasing more complex over time. Unfortunately this seems to create a lot of quirks, like sprite height not having a value because all of the assets are "preloaded" on a second, unused layout.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Containers: Families cannot be part of a container. If all family members require an object, that object needs to be created and picked manually (often through an family instance variable).
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Mylon wrote:The object must need to exist on the layout in question, not merely in the project.

Still not exactly true and pretty confusing.
An object type exists throughout the whole project.
You can use the create action to create an instance of it in any layout, even in a layout that is different from the layout containing its initial instance.

If what you mean is that you are having a blank layout (that currently contains no instances of any object type), but your project contains a SpriteA object type and a SpriteB object type that both have initial instances on another layout and in your blank layout you are using the create action to make a new instance of the SpriteA object type for example, and directly setting its width to be equal to SpriteB's width, obviously this won't work, since your layout does not contain any instances of the SpriteB. This is pretty normal related to how picking works though.

The vocabulary you are using talking about object instead of instances is what makes your annotations confusing and slightly untrue.

Image Image

Image Image

B
S
G

Next

Return to Website Issues and Feedback