Pesky Menus

0 favourites
  • 1 posts
From the Asset Store
A well commented template with list menus and shops to use in your top-down RPGs or metroidvania games!
  • Of all of the games I've made, the one thing that I've never found a good solution for is creating menu systems, ESPECIALLY in RPG type situations.

I'm wondering if anyone has some insight on this? These are the way's I've figured out:

1. Create an "initialize" layout that starts the game and sets the layers to be "global". Set visibility based on whether the menu is open or not. The problem with this is that if you have a lot of menu sprites (like my 700+ right now...), it still taxes the CPU even when invisible.

2. Put all sprite objects in a family and give them a text instance variable. Store the x, y, variable, etc. info into a dictionary and meticulously create each menu system via code using loops. This is the best way to do it so I've found, but a complete pain in the ass (ESPECIALLY if you've already made an entire game with menu system 1 -_-)

I had an idea of keeping the layers as global and then destroying all the objects and recreating them via the system command (recreate initial objects), but that causes a HUGE slowdown for a few seconds when it's recreated. Is there a way to "only recreate sprites on X layer?" Or something of the matter?

I'm a bit at a loss and would love to not have to recode all my menus just to save a couple % cpu.

Any input would be valued.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)