Petition to change Construct3 subscription payment

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:51 pm

I left this comment in Scirra blog, and now leave it here:
"I am disappointed - subscription is not for me, I am ready to pay one-time fee. At the time I bought a construct 2 for $99 but now will have to do it every year. It is expensive at least."
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:59 pm

yojona wrote:Well, i think exporting will be easy if they use a vm in their servers to make directly the apk file and the xcode project.

About the pricing model, we need to consider the server maintenance costs, etc.

Think about server costs for a feature so few of us want/need and they haven't demonstrated why we need it. (unless you are a Linux/Mac user, which is a very small group)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:02 pm

The server services should be optional. There is no problem having the entire editor work offline.
All they have to do is bundle it in electron or nw.js - if its web based

If it uses a service to create the apk - then the users should keep the option to use the FREE xdk service instead
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:16 pm

I recognize that for professional use, paying the annual subscription is not a head warming .... but I hope at least some small advantage has free use of construct3. Could we be in time to evaluate other options? Another business model? ... :( I hope more news for me ... greetings scirra.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Sounds like C3 is more for the professional than the hobbiest, that's a shame as I'm a hobbiest. Gamemaker it is then. :(
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:25 pm

yojona wrote:Well, i think exporting will be easy if they use a vm in their servers to make directly the apk file and the xcode project.

About the pricing model, we need to consider the server maintenance costs, etc.

I highly doubt that will happen. They said they dont want any sort of native export/compiling.. Which sucks..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:43 pm

I've seen first hand the cost of running servers for Apps and scaling prices. It's going to be a huge drain on monetary resources for scirra to maintain a service like this. I don't think it would be feasible or fair to ask them to re-consider their pricing model.

As disappointed as I am, it is a decision that was taken years ago and a lot of work must have been put into creating this. I remember when GDevelop introduced their web service(free but also kept a native app) and my arguments were almost the same as they are now. The web is prone to crashes and takes bandwidth which is a huge deal where the Internet is not cheap. Also, they feel clunky to use.

I think construct deserves the money they ask and I have no problem paying it but I'm a casual developer who likes to create prototypes for the fun of it and not owning the software really bums me out. And to cover the cost of the servers they need to use these web service the money they are asking is justified so I'm just disappointed here. Feels like I lost a skill. No blame to the devs, it's just been a bad first day of Feb for me. First, the girl I like in the office left and now Construct moved to web and subscription model. It's just been a sad sad day.
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi,

I love C2 and i am an Early-adopter.

I like to make games when I can and offline. Please consider to have an option for a C3 one-time payment.
I really don´t see any advantages in this new C3 subscription model.

I had experience with other softwares/companies that uses monthly subscription and I had to cancel my plan.
Now I look for softwares options with good price and flexibility...

I am a Mac user and waited long time for C3 release.

Best regards,
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:12 pm

How about... :D
Business License: Subscription ($240/yr)
Personal License : Subscription ($120.00/yr)
Not Yet Earning: $60.00 (One Time)

@Ashley , @Tom ... Sorry about lately, that was my disappointment striking...
How about considering this?
Last edited by chadorireborn on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:18 pm

@chadorireborn don't worry, but if you could just try tone it down a bit would be much appreciated! I do understand your and everyone else's concerns.

Business edition prices are TBC in the future.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion