Petition to change Construct3 subscription payment

Post » Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 pm

Reasons to sub:

Scirra supported exporters
Improved workflow/editor elements
Runtime update, when it happen - This will probably be the biggest reason to use C3 over C2, when they get implemented
Able to work on mobile/linux/mac

If these are of no use to you, then purchase C2, which is and will remain a one off payment, or use other software, of which there are plenty of alternatives. If you have checked out the alternatives and are still here complaining about the price, then you are simply justifying the fact that Scirra has something worth paying for.

Regardless of how you want to define "locked out", it does suck that you will not be able to edit your C3 projects after your subscription expires, with no way to export to C2 besides manually recreating the project. To update a project after a subscription expires would require another year. Monthly access, perhaps at a higher price rate, could alleviate this. Or it could only be for previous subscribers if the worry is that people will create projects in C2 to export in C3 (which doesn't seem like too big a deal to me if they did buy C2 after all, which is more or less equivilant to a year subscription in C3). I imagine monthly price would be in the $20+ range, which would probably kick off another round of complaining. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement though.
Mistakes were made.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 01, 2017 9:42 pm

tunepunk wrote:How serious people are is not measured by their coding ability. C2\C3 is just a tool like any other, just specialized for those who don't know any traditional coding language.

I might add: .. or don't have time to develop using traditional coding, since the event system is way faster.

newt wrote:Single project= pay per event, billed at the end of each month for additional events, exports cost extra.

It's like paying for minutes using telephone services. Or if you'd pay per minute (or level) in World of Warcraft. A terrible idea in my humble opinion for a development environment.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 01, 2017 10:08 pm

glerikud wrote:It's like paying for minutes using telephone services. Or if you'd pay per minute (or level) in World of Warcraft. A terrible idea in my humble opinion for a development environment.

Except you keep the minutes you've already paid for.
It's not a recurring charge.
You get x amount of time to add events, in addition to the free 40.
At the end of x time you pay for the extra events. No matter what, you own that many events to do what you want, whenever you want, as many times as you like, up until you add more events than what you have paid for in the next payment period.
You would then be billed for those extra events.
If you choose not to pay for them then it works like the free version.
If you want to add any events at that point then you would either pay for the current bill, or remove some events that you have already paid for.

Like paying for minutes, those events would have to be reasonably priced in order to keep people interested.

I would add that the amount of events can be drastically reduced by using plugs.
Plugs that can be shared, or sold to the community.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 01, 2017 10:13 pm

glerikud wrote:I might add: .. or don't have time to develop using traditional coding, since the event system is way faster.

Yeah that too. I think the main selling point of Construct is the event sheet. Everything else is secondary. That's why we are all here. From advanced users to beginners, it's comprehensible and easy to use, yet pretty flexible. Maybe not the most powerful, but it gets the job done quickly, without too much headaches. I've tried coding, using state machines and other methods, didn't even get near creating anything resembling a game. Lol..... For me the event sheet alone is Well worth a sub in my opinion. Without it I probably wouldn't be making any games at all.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 am

I will be glad to pay the subscription fee. It is worth it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 02, 2017 1:03 am

You know, a monthly subscription option would solve a lot of these issues people are mentioning here.

Problem: I don't want to lose access to editing my game because I no longer have a yearly subscription.
Solution: Pay monthly. You pay $10 for the month you need to fix and edit your game.

Problem: $99 too expensive.
Solution: Pay monthly. You pay $10 a month for the months you can afford it. Unsubscribe for the months you can't pay.

Problem: $10 a month is too expensive.
Solution: $10 a month only amounts to a little more than 33 cents a day. Maybe consider unsubscribing to Netflix for a month, or skip two morning coffees at Starbucks to make up the difference. Maybe take the time you are not subscribed to plan your game out better to take full advantage of your time when you subscribe.

Problem: I refuse to pay at all for a subscription.
Solution: We regret to hear that, but maybe C3 isn't the best solution for you at this time. Thank you so much for all of your support. It has meant a lot to us. Please check back often to see what we are up to. You might be convinced in the near future by the strength of C3, the numerous updates we are making to it, and the marvelous games others are creating with our software. But if not, best of luck on your future endeavors! You will be sorely missed. :D

(I said it would solve a lot of the problems. Not all of them) :lol:
B
S

Post » Tue May 02, 2017 1:19 am

Only but a few want to support a sub for C2 in a browser.

Read the last blog and the real C3 is years away.

And this thing will always only run on chrome, just try open C3 in any other browser and read the notice you get.

I do have a few subs - CC being one.

But I will never pay a sub to be forced to use a browser for dev, and definitely not to be locked to Google. For some reason Scirra thinks it is cool to be tied to 3rd parties that have in the past and will in the future break things....

Really......
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 02, 2017 1:57 am

Message: Delenne can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
By the way, on a side note: how is it possible that a user collects 11,242 gold medals, is 21001 days online in a row while he/she only registered 74 days ago, and has an insane 5,621,827 reputation points?

And only one post in this thread?

https://www.scirra.com/users/20170217
B
S

Post » Tue May 02, 2017 2:21 am

The fanatic medal is broken (probably among others). I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have any.
Mistakes were made.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 02, 2017 8:59 am

michael wrote:Only but a few want to support a sub for C2 in a browser.

Unless you have actual reasons why you don't want to use a browser, why does this point of view matter? The browser can do a great deal of what native apps can do now, e.g. offline support, use local projects, import C2 projects, hide browser UI by adding to desktop, etc. etc. Usually "I don't want to use a browser" comes down to incorrect assumptions like "I don't want to have to be online", when it already works today offline, and so on.

And this thing will always only run on chrome, just try open C3 in any other browser and read the notice you get.

Perhaps you missed our progress on the Firefox port.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion