Petition to change Construct3 subscription payment

Post » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:52 pm

To some degree I understand the problems with subscription based services. Especially for hobbyists (like myself, I try to convert though) this is a dealbreaker. But lets face it, iirc...

$99* USD per annum.

We´re talking about a little over 8$ per month. I don´t understand how anyone has troubles affording this. I´m not exactly earning much and I still have a photoshop licence that costs 12$ per month. It´s pocket money.

Also...
Customers who purchase Construct 2 on or after 1st February 2017 (the launch announcement date) will be eligible 100% discount on the first year subscription price for a license of the same type or lower (where Business is the highest and Personal is the lowest).

Customers who have purchased Construct 2 prior to February 1st 2017 will be eligible to a 50% discount on the first year subscription price for a license of the same type or lower.

It´s not like scirra leaves you in the dirt. If you already own C2 you will get it (depending on when you bought) FREE for a whole year, or a whopping 4$ per month for a whole year. You´re not gonna starve because of this and you can test it for a whole year before deciding.

There are hobbies out there that are a huge multitude more expensive than that or even just activities...
Don´t buy that bag of chips - Boom, you now can afford a month of C3 (first year)

I doubt they will just change the model because of some sort of petition. The only thing I can see is them making you able to suspend the subscription on a monthly basis so you can suspend it if you just not gonna use it within the next month. Also it´s understandable why more and more companies switch to subscription models, because if you have one time payments you will get a spike and then for the next several years the income will trickle in while you still have to maintain the development.

Just my 2 cents
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:33 pm

WackyToaster wrote:To some degree I understand the problems with subscription based services. Especially for hobbyists (like myself, I try to convert though) this is a dealbreaker. But lets face it, iirc...
Just my 2 cents

It's not the price. It's just another automated cashflow.
(I don't like this - so i also still use photoshop CS3 - it has all i need)

But there's another thing with C3 - the online project storage with all it's negative aspects)
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:52 pm

C3 has not convinced me yet. When Scirra provides a time-limited version (for example 30 days ) with ALL features, for testing I think of migrating.

It´s too soon for any change.. I only switch from C2 to c3 after seeing an unrestricted events version.
"keep calm we have giant robots!"
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

If they make an option. $90 for a year or $9 per month. I would probably buy into that.
Since if you decide not to renew a yearly sub you can still have access to your content say 2 years later by paying the $9.
I imagine though that Scirra does not have the manpower to handle such a system although it should be relatively easy to automate.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm also not a fan of the subscription model. It is especially bad for student like me, who have no regular income.
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Their apparently not listening to this and have other agenda's ("being too rich which is such a bad business decision or money stability"),
they would only listen if the entire population of construct users stoppped using their service
but then they probably would say we won't be able to continue making the software
which is just bogus so it seems like their's some kind of delusions going on in the minds of someone.

However if it comes down to it and their's no other way I'll probably get C3
because I want to make a fucking game had enough of trying to program with no extensive and proper results.

In my mind I am not bashing the developers, I am trying to help.

I have C2 but I like C3 better.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:45 pm

It's not a question of cost, I could easily afford it, but it's the entire subscription model I'm objecting to. Like others here have already stated, I do not use it continuously. I tinker with it from time to time for my own amusement, then put it away for a while. In fact, after months of inactivity, I pulled it out to do a quick game to demonstrate some additional functionality we could add to our company's website. A subscription only benefits those who use it daily, or are trying to make money from games, and not everybody lives in that world. I for one will most certainly not be subscribing, which is a shame because I really like the engine/editor. But I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that Clickteam's Fusion 3 will be as fun and easy to use.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:56 am

wizaerd wrote:It's not a question of cost, I could easily afford it, but it's the entire subscription model I'm objecting to. Like others here have already stated, I do not use it continuously. I tinker with it from time to time for my own amusement, then put it away for a while. In fact, after months of inactivity, I pulled it out to do a quick game to demonstrate some additional functionality we could add to our company's website. A subscription only benefits those who use it daily, or are trying to make money from games, and not everybody lives in that world. I for one will most certainly not be subscribing, which is a shame because I really like the engine/editor. But I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that Clickteam's Fusion 3 will be as fun and easy to use.

This is pretty much where I am on it, too. Again, I really think something like a $10 or $12 per month subscription fixes this issue. I'll pay $12 for one month (more than the $8 it costs if you pre-pay for a year) to play around, knowing I'll probably not touch it again for a few more months. But I just don't think I'll ever be able to justify paying $100 for a year, when (like you) I just won't be using it enough.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:48 am

This engine doesnt have the complexity of that or other game engines. If it had much more features i would be considering subscription model. Particle collision? more behaviours , keyframe animation editor? construct hasnt have it. Even Buildbox has simple animation editor. And it is new engine maintained byt not 100 people. I dont get it , you say spriter and such is the way, not at all. I am very dissapointed that you wasnt able to integrate simple keyframe animation editor or add collision to particles, without worry of performance. Pc can handle a lot. There is much more. If i was you i would not even think about subscription without such "basic" features
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:27 pm

And I'm not able to earn 10 dollars per month from construct 2 how can pay 8
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion