Petition to include built-in exporter/compiler in Construct3

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:58 am

xanxion wrote:Well, if you ask Scirra. They will probably say that the 3rd party compilers should fix these errors. :P

:lol:
B
98
S
35
G
11
Posts: 289
Reputation: 13,087

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:52 am

I'm posting here just to ask for a native scirra compiler/exporter for mobile
B
41
S
6
G
1
Posts: 43
Reputation: 2,240

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:00 am

@TGeorgeMihai, Making a c++ compiler in Javascript is perfectly possible, but difficult.
"A compiler is a special program that processes statements written in a particular programming language and turns them into machine language or "code" that a computer's processor uses."
Javascript can be used to program a compiler just as easily as C++/C can. The problem is that it's very difficult to do, and Scirra wouldn't be capable of such a task.

@xanxion, asking for more stable exports from Scirra's small team is a waste of time. They need more money and workers before they'll be capable of performing such a large task effectively. Although I do agree that the subscription based model is not good when combined with an engine many of us have already bought, I'm hoping that the money they're capable of making with this update will allow them to do just this, and meet the demands of the users.

It's probably best to assume that this high price is being asked because Scirra wants to be able to include the features their users are asking for, which means they will have to grow more first.
ImageImage
B
49
S
15
G
2
Posts: 270
Reputation: 6,679

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:04 am

@TGeorgeMihai also, just a note, C3 will do everything the same way C2 does when it comes to the most important things. Nothing is changing.

Compilers for Javascript don't exist. Javascript is not a compiled language, it's an interpreted language.
ImageImage
B
49
S
15
G
2
Posts: 270
Reputation: 6,679

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:07 am

KTML5 wrote:@TGeorgeMihai also, just a note, C3 will do everything the same way C2 does when it comes to the most important things. Nothing is changing.

Compilers for Javascript don't exist. Javascript is not a compiled language, it's an interpreted language.


This is not strictly true, see:
http://softwareengineering.stackexchang ... -by-design

> The V8 "interpreter" compiles to native code internally, Rhino optionally compiles to Java bytecode internally, and various Mozilla interpreters ({Trace,Spider,Jager}Monkey) use a JIT compiler.
Banned User
B
177
S
41
G
34
Posts: 4,390
Reputation: 54,347

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:13 am

I don't think they need to include it in the core features. I would happily pay more for additional packages later on... like.... Native Exporters, 3D support, Project Planning, Team features, Monetization, etc etc... Maybe then they could lower the prices for the core product for hobbyists, and have a Tiered subscription, or additional packages for people who want more advanced features and support.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
42
S
18
G
19
Posts: 1,060
Reputation: 14,054

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:49 pm

We've been clear on this for a long time - we're not doing native exporters. I wrote about this in detail here: https://www.scirra.com/blog/ashley/28/the-case-against-native-engines
In many cases, doing a native engine won't actually get people what they're asking for - e.g. it won't improve GPU-bottlenecked games. We've also been clear that 3D amounts to a different product so we're sticking to 2D. There's nothing new about any of this.
Scirra Founder
B
403
S
238
G
89
Posts: 24,654
Reputation: 196,145

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Ashley wrote:We've been clear on this for a long time - we're not doing native exporters. I wrote about this in detail here: https://www.scirra.com/blog/ashley/28/the-case-against-native-engines
In many cases, doing a native engine won't actually get people what they're asking for - e.g. it won't improve GPU-bottlenecked games. We've also been clear that 3D amounts to a different product so we're sticking to 2D. There's nothing new about any of this.


I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Is it possible to have C3 any time in the future do the actual HTML5 wrapping and skip the middle man? Intel XDK, Visual Studio, CocoonJS etc etc.

When you export a HTML5 project you get a ready to go application you can upload directly to app stores? I don't get why this is such a big issue. Could anyone care to explain why it's difficult. It's basically a browser window without the address bar loading the HTML5 game from a local source?

When you export your HTML5 game, you can play it in practically any mobile browser. When you hit export... include the browser? This is a mystery to me... What makes CocconJS, Intel XDK, etc a necessary step, when developing for mobile?
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
42
S
18
G
19
Posts: 1,060
Reputation: 14,054

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:25 pm

tunepunk wrote:
Ashley wrote:We've been clear on this for a long time - we're not doing native exporters. I wrote about this in detail here: https://www.scirra.com/blog/ashley/28/the-case-against-native-engines
In many cases, doing a native engine won't actually get people what they're asking for - e.g. it won't improve GPU-bottlenecked games. We've also been clear that 3D amounts to a different product so we're sticking to 2D. There's nothing new about any of this.


I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Is it possible to have C3 any time in the future do the actual HTML5 wrapping and skip the middle man? Intel XDK, Visual Studio, CocoonJS etc etc.

When you export a HTML5 project you get a ready to go application you can upload directly to app stores? I don't get why this is such a big issue. Could anyone care to explain why it's difficult. It's basically a browser window without the address bar loading the HTML5 game from a local source?

When you export your HTML5 game, you can play it in practically any mobile browser. When you hit export... include the browser? This is a mystery to me... What makes CocconJS, Intel XDK, etc a necessary step, when developing for mobile?

Don't look at me. I am Scirra's products user for past 6-7 years and even I have no idea why they refuse to follow the route that practically EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET are following and what is the most request feature on this forums.
B
29
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,482

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:36 pm

I'm not going to keep making the same points about native engines, I wrote a whole blog about it already.

You should probably come up with a different name to talk about exporters - I equate "native exporters" with "native engines". I think you mean built-in exporters or something like that?
Scirra Founder
B
403
S
238
G
89
Posts: 24,654
Reputation: 196,145

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests