Petition to include built-in exporter/compiler in Construct3

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 pm

gumshoe2029 wrote:The problem with native exporters is that it puts you at the mercy of soulless corporations like Apple. There is a reason Safari support for HTML5 is trash: because it forces people to use the Apple store and buy the Apple iOS developer license.

Apple will die in the flood of open source. Scirra's choice to go HTML-only is a good one imo. Technology is going to the world of open source and open standards, and corporations are relegated to developers of new technology.

People begging for native exporters is like begging to back to ritual stake burnings for witches.


Apple is not going anywhere. Most open source is crap and there's no way it's going to kill an entire platform. I think you say this because you don't really understand why people like Apple products. And if you understood that, you would understand why Safari doesn't get updated as much.
B
14
S
7
G
3
Posts: 145
Reputation: 3,035

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Sebastian wrote:
gumshoe2029 wrote:The problem with native exporters is that it puts you at the mercy of soulless corporations like Apple. There is a reason Safari support for HTML5 is trash: because it forces people to use the Apple store and buy the Apple iOS developer license.

Apple will die in the flood of open source. Scirra's choice to go HTML-only is a good one imo. Technology is going to the world of open source and open standards, and corporations are relegated to developers of new technology.

People begging for native exporters is like begging to back to ritual stake burnings for witches.


Apple is not going anywhere. Most open source is crap and there's no way it's going to kill an entire platform. I think you say this because you don't really understand why people like Apple products. And if you understood that, you would understand why Safari doesn't get updated as much.


Speaking of updates, my Ipad3 the won't get any.

Yeah, Apples great.
Image ImageImage
B
169
S
50
G
173
Posts: 8,319
Reputation: 110,282

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:08 pm

newt wrote:
Speaking of updates, my Ipad3 the won't get any.

Yeah, Apples great.


There's that. I have an old iPad 3 too. Still works great, but it's not supported anymore and newer apps won't work on it. Not that new apps would work on it anyway. It came out in 2012. Mobile technology has came a long way since then.
B
14
S
7
G
3
Posts: 145
Reputation: 3,035

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:09 pm

T om wrote:There's no reason Construct made games can't be as popular as the big hits from other engines, we think it's only a matter of time.

We see developers using Construct all the time who obviously have the talent and creativity, just a bit more luck is needed!


True, there's already a few great games made in Construct 2, and people really start to recognize them once the developers switch engines/the games have been ported to consoles using other engines :)
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
119
S
41
G
17
Posts: 2,211
Reputation: 19,634

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:22 am

tunepunk wrote:
Ashley wrote:I'm not going to keep making the same points about native engines, I wrote a whole blog about it already.

You should probably come up with a different name to talk about exporters - I equate "native exporters" with "native engines". I think you mean built-in exporters or something like that?


Yes, sorry for the terminology. As a Designer I speak a different language :lol: Built in exporter Is probably more in line what people mean when they talk about native export here.... Completely agree with the case against native, as I've read the blog post several time trying to wrap my hand around it. I could care less what codebase is used if performance is similar.

So let me rephrase that.... How big of an hassle is it to have a "built in exporter" for mobile development? As a designer I'm jost looking for workflow improvements, less hiccups, and hassle.

Optimal workflow... Create game. Hit export, upload to Store...

Current workflow... Create game, hit export, import to 3rd party wrapper, build, get plugins working, .... it's not working... try again.... contact support... if you're lucky. Upload to store.

I'm only looking for workflow improvements. How you guys solves it it's up to you. I trust you completely... native or non native, i could care less, as long as my game is downloadable from app store without having to use XDK and such.


Couldn't have put it better!

I think what the majority of sensible users are asking for is a built in exporter and wrapper all in one, that then spits out an apk/ipa.
This will definitely cushion the blow of subscription fee disappointment and convince users that the fee is worth it.
If they can do this then I'm definitely sold!
B
7
S
1
Posts: 41
Reputation: 572

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:46 am

It's the one thing is holding me back from using CS2 anymore. Exporting to mobile in all regards is extra tedious, unpredictable and game file sizes end up being too large or the game runs hot/laggy. This will literally solve all my problems with CS2.
B
16
S
3
Posts: 115
Reputation: 2,428

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:24 am

mercedescolomar wrote:
tunepunk wrote:
Ashley wrote:I'm not going to keep making the same points about native engines, I wrote a whole blog about it already.

You should probably come up with a different name to talk about exporters - I equate "native exporters" with "native engines". I think you mean built-in exporters or something like that?


Yes, sorry for the terminology. As a Designer I speak a different language :lol: Built in exporter Is probably more in line what people mean when they talk about native export here.... Completely agree with the case against native, as I've read the blog post several time trying to wrap my hand around it. I could care less what codebase is used if performance is similar.

So let me rephrase that.... How big of an hassle is it to have a "built in exporter" for mobile development? As a designer I'm jost looking for workflow improvements, less hiccups, and hassle.

Optimal workflow... Create game. Hit export, upload to Store...

Current workflow... Create game, hit export, import to 3rd party wrapper, build, get plugins working, .... it's not working... try again.... contact support... if you're lucky. Upload to store.

I'm only looking for workflow improvements. How you guys solves it it's up to you. I trust you completely... native or non native, i could care less, as long as my game is downloadable from app store without having to use XDK and such.


Couldn't have put it better!

I think what the majority of sensible users are asking for is a built in exporter and wrapper all in one, that then spits out an apk/ipa.
This will definitely cushion the blow of subscription fee disappointment and convince users that the fee is worth it.
If they can do this then I'm definitely sold!



+1
B
39
S
22
G
76
Posts: 285
Reputation: 42,186

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:00 am

Jayjay wrote:
T om wrote:There's no reason Construct made games can't be as popular as the big hits from other engines, we think it's only a matter of time.

We see developers using Construct all the time who obviously have the talent and creativity, just a bit more luck is needed!


True, there's already a few great games made in Construct 2, and people really start to recognize them once the developers switch engines/the games have been ported to consoles using other engines :)

Care to name them?
In general really. Because every now and then I hear people saying what a awesome games had been made in C2 but I never get the names.
The Next Penelope is decent but niche market, Airscape is... okay, I guess? Cosmochoria isn't bad either but those 3 are very similiar.
Of course there's also awesome Star Nomad 1 & 2 made by @silverforce +all my games.
But what else?
Last edited by irbis on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:05 am

irbis wrote:Care to name them?
In general really. Because every now and then I hear people saying what a awesome games had been made in C2 but I never get the names.
The Next Penelope is decent but niche market, Airscape is... okay, I guess? Cosmochoria isn't bad either but those 3 are very similiar.
Of course there's also Star Nomad 1 & 2 +all my games.
But what else?


Super Ubie Land was getting a remake in Unity for WiiU + other platforms last I heard, not sure how that turned out.

Also, our own title Battle Princess Madelyn was prototyped in Construct 2 before porting (aka total remake-ing) over to Unity:

Construct 2 version
Image

Unity version (very old old screenshot, but shows some of the cool lighting we can do with equal or better performance so far)
Image

After this game we're thinking of going back to remake/"port" Insanity's Blade, which was our first commercial title in C2 (where we learned that Mac + Linux + WiiU are not as friendly to large HTML5 + NW.JS games as Windows is :P )
Last edited by Jayjay on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
119
S
41
G
17
Posts: 2,211
Reputation: 19,634

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:14 am

Jayjay wrote:Super Ubie Land was getting a remake in Unity for WiiU + other platforms last I heard, not sure how that turned out.

Also, our own title Battle Princess Madelyn was prototyped in Construct 2 before porting over to Unity:

Unity version (very old old screenshot, but shows some of the cool lighting we can do with equal or better performance so far)

After this game we're thinking of going back to remake/"port" Insanity's Blade, which was our first commercial title in C2 (where we learned that Mac + Linux + WiiU are not as friendly to large HTML5 + NW.JS games as Windows is :P )

Daaaamn! What a lovely pixel work you got there! <3 :o
Could you link me up? website or fanpage would do.
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests