Petition to include built-in exporter/compiler in Construct3

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:09 pm

blurymind wrote:Scirra does not want to make native exporters

True, and they stated that about a thousand times. I don't get why are you surprised about this.

I think having control over the full export process is a huge step forward. I personally like this feature very much. Android 5+ market share is growing and soon you won't have to worry about the packaged Chromium browser since you can just release your project to use WebView. I made a build like this with XDK for one of my projects using C2. I got a package with 5MB size. And the project weighted around 4MB.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:27 pm

glerikud wrote:

True, and they stated that about a thousand times. I don't get why are you surprised about this.

I think having control over the full export process is a huge step forward. I personally like this feature very much. Android 5+ market share is growing and soon you won't have to worry about the packaged Chromium browser since you can just release your project to use WebView. I made a build like this with XDK for one of my projects using C2. I got a package with 5MB size. And the project weighted around 4MB.

Completely agree. I do most of the testing for my projects on the built in browser. If my game doesn't run well there, It's not gonna run well bundled either. I'm pretty sure the C3 mobile exports are using WebView. Hopefully we can get some more details on this later on. That's a HUGE step in the right direction. People getting firmware and OS updates will always have the latest WebView functionality as well I suppose. You don't need to rebuild your game with new chromium version..
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:13 pm

I am not surprised at all.
let's see if they reveal in more detail :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:20 am

tunepunk wrote:
glerikud wrote:

Completely agree. I do most of the testing for my projects on the built in browser. If my game doesn't run well there, It's not gonna run well bundled either. I'm pretty sure the C3 mobile exports are using WebView. Hopefully we can get some more details on this later on. That's a HUGE step in the right direction. People getting firmware and OS updates will always have the latest WebView functionality as well I suppose. You don't need to rebuild your game with new chromium version..

@Tom Given their resources, they will totally screw up building their own native export / hybrid framework (unless they really built one but haven't announced yet) it is better for them to leverage to stable existing ones.
sleep is only for the weak!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:34 am

So you have your exporter then.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:59 pm

plinkie wrote:So you have your exporter then.

Yes, the exporter is on their server. This requires a number of things from you and them to work:
- To have paid your yearly subscription
- An internet connection to upload the project to scirra's server and download the resulting apk file (looks like xdk doesn't it) - depending on the size of your project this may have impact on compilation time
- To be on a network that has not blocked access to their domain or appropriate ports
- For their server to be online and not be overloaded by users or brought down by malicious parties such as the ones who have been attacking this forum with spambots

With these new factors, it could be less reliable, but in return you could get a single click export to apk

The problem is that the apk packaged game has a different performance from the game when you playtest it on localhost through the editor.

@tom will construct3 also be able to use construct2's current offline exporters for construct3 projects? All of them?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:09 pm

blurymind wrote:Most other game engines support spitting out a native APK that is not bundled with a web browser

Construct 2 already supports this as well. Just target Android 5.0+, and it won't bundle Crosswalk, which is what increases the file size. It's only there for Android 4.x support, which is steadily shrinking.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:30 pm

Ashley wrote:
blurymind wrote:Most other game engines support spitting out a native APK that is not bundled with a web browser

Construct 2 already supports this as well. Just target Android 5.0+, and it won't bundle Crosswalk, which is what increases the file size. It's only there for Android 4.x support, which is steadily shrinking.

That is worth adding to the FAQ, as some users on this forum see it as a disadvantage of the current exporter :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Ashley wrote:

Oh that's good to know. If people just stopped making apps for that group, maybe they would finally update their outdated OS.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Although they are still a pretty large chunk of people, but I guess it depends on which market/territory you're aiming at. I would like to think that at least for Europe and North America, the numbers would look very different. I think these published numbers are world wide. I doubt people using old phones/OS are not very much in to games... and probably not potential customers anyway.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:43 pm

I guess S'mores will be a combination of versions?
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion