Phone heats up when running in CocoonJS ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:41 pm

I have developed a very simple word game , not a lot of sprite movements , only few buttons and sprite fonts. After running for about 10 minutes, i see the the phone (Naked iPhone 5 - No Cover) gets heated up a lot and it's so hot, FPS is 60, even if i keep the game idle , it gets heated.

Is it common , Is anyone experiencing the same ? Any ideas to prevent if it's an issue.
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:37 am

It depends on your simple game, because if you code it to update positions of sprites or your code is running loops even while its in an idle gameplay phase, it eats CPU cycles each frame so that causes the phone to use more power & thus, generate more heat.

If you make mobile games you should really optimize it to the fullest, watch your game in debug mode (watch/profile) and see how much CPU resources its taking on your PC. I try to keep it around 5-15% of my i5-3770K, I have found this keeps it running fast on older mobiles without causing 100% CPU usage on newer devices. On the iPad, my game is loading the CPU ~50% and doesn't get hot.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:43 am

Silverforce wrote:It depends on your simple game, because if you code it to update positions of sprites or your code is running loops even while its in an idle gameplay phase, it eats CPU cycles each frame so that causes the phone to use more power & thus, generate more heat.

If you make mobile games you should really optimize it to the fullest, watch your game in debug mode (watch/profile) and see how much CPU resources its taking on your PC. I try to keep it around 5-15% of my i5-3770K, I have found this keeps it running fast on older mobiles without causing 100% CPU usage on newer devices. On the iPad, my game is loading the CPU ~50% and doesn't get hot.

Nice tips, thank you!

I am also experiencing some issues with my phone heating (iPhone) and also my game drains the battery FAST. Think you could maybe do a tutorial how did you manage to optimize your games so well? That would be much appreciated.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:52 am

Is there any particular problem in getting hot? I mean if it doesn´t cross a magic border, there is no problem right?
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 am

Beaverlicious wrote:Is there any particular problem in getting hot? I mean if it doesn´t cross a magic border, there is no problem right?

Technically no problem, but I think it's a bit unprofessional to not care about it. Most games do not suffer about those issues. If there's something I can do to avoid it, I'd like to try!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:19 am

Beaverlicious wrote:Is there any particular problem in getting hot? I mean if it doesn´t cross a magic border, there is no problem right?

It's a problem on some devices, when they get hot, the CPU down-clocks to reduce heat output and loses performance.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:22 am

robotecollective wrote:Think you could maybe do a tutorial how did you manage to optimize your games so well? That would be much appreciated.

I am also interested. :)
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General