Phonegap / AppMobi pros and cons

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:12 pm

@ranma, the Audio object already uses PhoneGap's Media API to play sounds. Within PhoneGap, all 'play' actions are redirected to the thing you linked me to. And everyone reports nothing plays. So I don't know what to do, I've read other people have had problems with it though.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:20 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] @ranma, the Audio object already uses PhoneGap's Media API to play sounds. Within PhoneGap, all 'play' actions are redirected to the thing you linked me to. And everyone reports nothing plays. So I don't know what to do, I've read other people have had problems with it though.[/QUOTE]
:( I will do some tests with it, will PM you about how it went if you don't mind, as for me it is now the only thing that is blocking me from publishing some really good and finished games to market / appstore.

Another addition to the first post. Appmobi apps actualy weigh about twice as much as phonegap build as they seem to unpack some data during install.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:45 pm

For anyone that is interested in getting sound in phonegap, here's temporary workaround (hope that it gets implemented in C2), you have to use browser or callJavascript plugin and call this bit of JS to play sound (assuming your sounds export folder is "media"):

[code]
    var myaudio = new Media("/android_asset/www/media/someSound.ogg");
    myaudio.play();
[/code]
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 am

Just to say : if you want to do something with PhoneGap and Audio, don't use their native Media stuff (I know, I know, multiplatforms and all, yay !)
Use a plugin to deal with that, for example that one : https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins/tree/master/iPhone/SoundPlug on iOS (that one is promising, but it's only a month old : https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins/tree/master/iPhone/LowLatencyAudio, although there's also that one for the Android platform in the github tree)Pode2012-02-21 09:18:12
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:34 am

[QUOTE=Pode] Just to say : if you want to do something with PhoneGap and Audio, don't use their native Media stuff (I know, I know, multiplatforms and all, yay !)
Use a plugin to deal with that, for example that one : https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins/tree/master/iPhone/SoundPlug on iOS (that one is promising, but it's only a month old : https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins/tree/master/iPhone/LowLatencyAudio, although there's also that one for the Android platform in the github tree)[/QUOTE]
why? :D
i mean, how is that better than phonegaps native media?

also I had real fun yesterday with eclipse, the BEST thing about it, is that you can export from construct to the eclipse workspace folder, then from eclipse just run the project on your device with one click of a button, this way testing your app is no pain at all (appmobi, every build is about 10 "next" clicks, uploading to phone, installing apk).ranma2012-02-21 10:37:03
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:09 pm

[quote]
[/quote]
Because, as you said, the base Media() is buggy.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:22 pm

[QUOTE=Pode] [quote]
[/quote]
Because, as you said, the base Media() is buggy.[/QUOTE]
I didn't :) I said the construct's audio object doesn't work with phonegap, that's all. I didn't run into any problems with phonegap base media object, not that I had it put to the extreme tests or something. Anyhow, thanks for pointing out that there's plugin for the audio output, when I have problems with base media object, will use the plugin of course :)
cheers!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:30 am

@Pode, PhoneGap Build doesn't support plugins, so using any of those prevents anyone from being able to build their game on PhoneGap Build. Then you gotta install hundreds of megabytes of dev software to build instead. PhoneGap Build say they'll support plugins in future so I was going to wait for that.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:47 am

@Ashley : okay. I was thinking about the people doing their own compilation with XCode :).
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 am

[QUOTE=Ashley] @Pode, PhoneGap Build doesn't support plugins, so using any of those prevents anyone from being able to build their game on PhoneGap Build. Then you gotta install hundreds of megabytes of dev software to build instead.[/QUOTE]
aggreed, but after that you can do lots of great things you never would do without it :) and testing your apps becomes so easy you wouldn't even imagine (i know I wouldn't if I didn't do it, its painful once, but after you install it... ghaad :) with a little bit of javascript you can do ftp file uploads / downloads, speech recognition, and everything that you can with phonegap plugins, so for me it actually was worth it :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General