Physics objects tripping on aligned boxes or internal seams

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Simple yet very life-like rag doll made with Physics!
  • I know this has been discussed at some point here, the obvious solution is to use an edge collider... but we all know that doesn't exist in construct2 box2d implementations... but there is another way around it. You can change min penetration without penalty to 0.

This should be an option. It has its price and so shouldn't be default but it would fix all those game that roll objects across what wshould be a smooth surface and get little bumps.

If you like to edit code you can change the setting in the behavior for physics.

I learned about this while using unity today and then confirmed. and I came running back here as fast as I could to share the news for any who care. If only c2 had raycasting I would have never left in the first place (I need to get the angle of surface normals... Which is not in my mind a luxury but a necessity in games - especially when trying to role your own platformer engines on a routine basis).

• Construct 2 raycasting plugin

Welcome back I guess?

~Sol

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yes, this bumping is very annoying to my team, we ended up transferring collision to additional single object collision boxes to work around it. It would be nice, trusting what you say, to implement a solution in the engine.

• Construct 2 raycasting plugin

Welcome back I guess?

~Sol

haha yeah, that is a sweet plugin. Unfortunately, I've spent the last month doing the hard work of getting my game switched to unity. Now that it is there, there are a number of benefits I won't through away after all that work.

But this plugin is great. I had a discussion with Ashley a year ago about lack of useful collision information (surface normals, distance, etc...) but I guess he didn't think it was useful.

• Yes, this bumping is very annoying to my team, we ended up transferring collision to additional single object collision boxes to work around it. It would be nice, trusting what you say, to implement a solution in the engine.

Well... its still not a good solution, it changes the way the rest of physics works and will still sometimes trip on those seams. It could work for some things, but I wouldn't change a whole project for it. Tell Ashley you want proper collision edges. I did, he didn't care. But I think if enough people yammer about it he will eventually officially include more box2d features. I was under the impression he was waiting for a new build before adding them. He got his new build and then still didn't add them. I even gave him some code for fixing some bugs and suggested adding of a few features that I also had code for... but alas... Ashley is a very busy man and has way too much on his plate. c3 eh? I'm hoping!

Cheers

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)