Physics Suggestions

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:00 am

[quote="Ashley":1zymnajy]I'm not sure how well it'll work out calculating the forces necessary to accurately reproduce following some coordinates, but I'll give it a shot, it'd definitely be handy. It'd be great to have a platform movement who could go round shoving bricks and such.[/quote:1zymnajy]
I don't know how much it would be doable, but more than a "physics platform movement" would be a very powerful feature to have the capability of having 2 movements on the same time, so that you could integrate physics to any movement.

For example, I remember our Magic Racer game.. the engine was enterely made in custom events, and I remember that the most difficult part was to manage the collisions between cars.

In my case, it would have been extremely comfy to be able to integrate to my custom racecar engine a "physics movement" just for this aspect.

In case of somebody using the "racecar movement" (the most of the people actually), it would be pretty easy to tho the same with the feature mentioned above:
- add racecar movement
- add physics movement
- then just play with settings and add custom events as you like
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:59 am

I just realized there should be a "None" option under the Collision Mask property for physics objects.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:42 pm

What would you use a physics object that doesnt collide with anything for? Wouldn't it just fall off the screen if it had gravity?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:56 pm

[quote="Ashley":1qu3onbi]What would you use a physics object that doesnt collide with anything for? Wouldn't it just fall off the screen if it had gravity?[/quote:1qu3onbi]

Forces and torques would still apply to that object... I guess there could be some use, although marginal. Like some decorative objects, like falling leaves in the background that don't interact with the main game. If there is some kind of wind in the game, it could apply the leaves.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:35 pm

[quote="Ashley":rryvgjkb]What would you use a physics object that doesnt collide with anything for? Wouldn't it just fall off the screen if it had gravity?[/quote:rryvgjkb]

Particle effects. That's the major use. And a lot of particle effects don't use gravity.

Also, if there were no physics collisions, you could then test for sprite collisions, which would give you the ability to create detectors for your physics objects, or code your own collision routines instead of using the default physics collisions (which aren't conditionable).

For instance: Make a solid ball that's 32x32, then overlay it with an unsolid ball that's 34x34, give them the same mass, feed them the same velocities, etc. and you have a detector that will follow your ball without lagging behind.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Ah, I see. On the todo list.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:33 am

Wow, that would be awsome! Just imagine a family "Affected by wind" where you put everything that's light enough to blow away. Then you just set the force of grup to whatever is right for the moment,diffrent for each level, or even change it at runtime! Everything like ash, leaves, snow, dust, feathers, smoke, ARROWS etc. will be affected! KICKASS!!! That matches perfectly for my big project i plan for v1,0! The guy will be able to set the wind with a spell!

I lv construct!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 am

Any way to change World Solver and World Friction at runtime? Would be helpful to a user whose has a slower computer.

Would it also be possible to change World Gravity/ X scale/ Y scale and toggle Immovable and No Rotation at runtime?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:01 am

[quote="Attan":2axoax24]Wow, that would be awsome![/quote:2axoax24]
Well, I wouldn't know if Ashley's "on the todo list" was actually inherent to:

[quote:2axoax24]there should be a "None" option under the Collision Mask property for physics objects.[/quote:2axoax24]
or this:
[quote:2axoax24]A physics platform would be great![/quote:2axoax24]
or this:
[quote:2axoax24]would be a very powerful feature to have the capability of having 2 movements on the same time, so that you could integrate physics to any movement[/quote:2axoax24]

Let's wait news from Mr. Construct :P
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:24 am

I was going to add "None" as a physics collision mask. Things like a Physics Platform Movement would be great as a separate movement, but probably requires changes to the engine (otherwise every plugin/movement using the physics engine compiles to ~500kb).

I'll try and add those runtime controls, but some (like World X/Y scale) are difficult to change at runtime because you have to destroy and recreate the physics world. Also, games should be using the fastest settings for physics anyway, setting it higher is only going to serve to waste CPU time.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion